Proving Integral Homework Statement: x>0

• Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to prove that for all x>0, we need to show that the integrand is always positive. If it is not, we need to prove that the positive area is greater than the negative area. To start, we can graph the integrand and observe its behavior. However, there are infinitely many values of t where sin t is negative, so we cannot simply say that the integrand is always positive. The boundedness of the integrand may also be important in this proof.
ptolema

Homework Statement

prove that
integral.jpg
for all x>0

Homework Equations

-1 [tex]\leq[/tex] sin t [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

The Attempt at a Solution

the area under the graph is increasing as x increases
also, i tried to write it the sigma way:
leibsigma-1.jpg
then take the limit as n-->infinity
i got stuck trying to figure out how to work with sine in sigma notation, but I'm not even sure if my attempt would get anywhere

can anyone give me any pointers on how to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
All you have to do is basically prove that the integrand is positive; since we know that the area under a positive function is positive, all you basically need to show is that the integrand is always positive. If it is not, then you need to prove that the positive area is greater than the negative area. A good place to start would be to graph the integrand.

Whitishcube said:
All you have to do is basically prove that the integrand is positive; since we know that the area under a positive function is positive, all you basically need to show is that the integrand is always positive. If it is not, then you need to prove that the positive area is greater than the negative area. A good place to start would be to graph the integrand.

i can't say that the integrand is always positive, and there are infinitely many values of t where sin t is negative. i know that the integrand approaches 0 as t-->infinity, but that may or not be important. is the boundedness of the integrand important?

1. What does it mean for x to be greater than 0 in the integral homework statement?

When x is greater than 0 in the integral homework statement, it means that the variable x is only being considered for positive values. This is important because the limits of integration and the function being integrated may have different behaviors for positive and negative values of x.

2. How do you prove that the integral homework statement is true for all x greater than 0?

In order to prove that the integral homework statement is true for all x greater than 0, you can use the definition of an integral to evaluate the integral and show that it is equal to the given statement. This involves breaking up the integral into smaller parts and using known integration techniques to simplify the expression.

3. Can the integral homework statement still be true if x is equal to 0?

It depends on the specific integral homework statement. In general, if the statement is defined for all x greater than or equal to 0, then it can still be considered true when x is equal to 0. However, if the statement explicitly excludes x=0, then it would not be true for that specific value.

4. Why is it important to specify that x is greater than 0 in the integral homework statement?

Specifying that x is greater than 0 in the integral homework statement allows for a more accurate and specific solution. It helps to avoid any potential issues or confusion that may arise from considering negative values of x, which could lead to incorrect solutions or interpretations of the problem.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that x must be greater than 0 in the integral homework statement?

Yes, there may be exceptions to this rule depending on the specific problem or application. For example, if the function being integrated has a singularity at x=0, then the integral homework statement may need to be adjusted to account for this. It is important to carefully consider the behavior of the function before determining the limits of integration and specifying the value of x.