Proving Isomorphism of Groups with Elements of Same Order

• Thread starter SquareCircle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the statement "If G has an element of order n, then H has an element of order n" for isomorphic groups G and H. The concept of group isomorphism is defined and used to show that if x has order n in G, then its isomorphic element f(x) in H also has order n. The conversation also suggests taking time to understand the proof.
SquareCircle
How would I go about proving the following:

If G has an element of order n, then H has an element of order n.

I am not sure how to start, if I should some how go about proving one to one and onto.

Help

Physics news on Phys.org
Who knows, since you've not explained what G and H are.

But, guessing you mean let G and H be isomorphic groups, show that G has an element of order n iff H does.

Suppose f is an iso from G to H. Let x be in G, then, f(x^r)=f(x)^r, hence ord(f(x))<=ord(x). by symmetry ord(x)=ord(f(x)).

Last edited:
Isomorphism

Sorry, I left that part out.

The whole problem states

Assume that G and H are groups and that G and H are isomorphic
Then prove the statement
If G has an element of order n, then H has an element of order n.

Last edited:
Which is what I showed, albeit in a very quick fashion. Do you understand the proof?

Isomorphism

No, I do not understand the proof. I am taking group theory and I do not understand the concepts. Do you know what I can do to help me understand some of the concepts?

The concept is simply a definition.

the order of an element is the smallest positive r such that x composed with itself r times is the identity

a group isomorphism is a structure preserving map f(xy)=f(x)f(y)

so it follows f(x^r)=f(x)^r

if x^r=e, the identity, then f(x)^r = e, so if r is minimal and positive such that x^r = e then f(x) has order at most r. So by symmetry, with g the inverse iso to f, it follows they must be equal.

you need to think about it. it shouldn't be instantly obvious, it'll take time to understand, but it's supposed to

Isomorphism

Thank you, your explanation of the proof helped.

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. It essentially means that the two structures are structurally identical, even though they may look different on the surface.

How do you prove an isomorphism?

To prove an isomorphism, you need to show that there exists a bijective function between the two structures. This means that the function is both one-to-one and onto, or that it maps each element of one structure to a unique element in the other structure.

What is the significance of proving an isomorphism?

Proving an isomorphism is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between two seemingly different structures. It also helps us to solve problems in one structure by translating them into the other structure.

What are some common examples of isomorphisms?

Some common examples of isomorphisms include graph isomorphisms, group isomorphisms, and vector space isomorphisms. In each case, the structures being compared have different representations, but are considered isomorphic if they satisfy the necessary properties.

How do you know if two structures are isomorphic?

The best way to determine if two structures are isomorphic is to find a bijective function between them. If such a function exists, then the structures are isomorphic. Other methods include checking for common properties or using invariants, which are properties that remain unchanged under isomorphism.