1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving angular momentum is conserved

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball moves in a two-dimensional billiard comprising a horizontal frictionless table enclosed by two circular barriers of radii 2m and 1m and centred, respectively, at (x, y)=(0, 0) and (x, y)=(a, 0), where a<0.5m. The ball undergoes specular reflection at each barrier. Prove that the ball's angular momentum is conserved when a=0.

2. Relevant equations
    Poisson brackets

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I have to bring poisson brackets into this, since it basically comes down to showing constants of motion, although I don't know what I need to use poisson brackets on. I think that I need to consider [itex]L^2[/itex] and the hamiltonian of the system, but I'm not entirely sure how to build the boundary conditions (e.g. specular reflection off the boundary walls) into the hamiltonian.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?