1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving area with radians

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    in a circle with perimeter of 20cm a sector has radius r, angle θ radians and area Acm^2
    prove that A= 25-(r-5)^2

A=1/2 r^2 θ
    c=2Πr

the only thing that I can think to do is c=2Πr therefore 20=2Πr
    10=Πr r=10/Π
    so then A=1/2 r^2 θ
    =1/2 (10/Π)^2 θ
    = θ (100/2Π^2)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Why don't you post the entire question again, and in a neat way, it will make life easier for everybody here, and surely you will get more responses!

EDIT: you can just edit the first post, and delete the others, or ask a PF to delete the others.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    i can't seem to get the 2s to show up superscript...is there a particular way?

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    you might want to use LATEX if you are familiar with that at all? or you can just do it
    r^2, and we will know that r is raised to the power of 2.

6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    thanks, i hope this is better

7. Feb 17, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Honestly, it looks to me like that statement is not true and so cannot be proved. For one thing, it does not involve "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and that can't be right.

8. Feb 18, 2008 #7
    I believe that the statement should have been like this:

A sector of a circle has a perimeter of 20cm and a area of "A" and the circle has a radius of "r". Prove that "A = 25-(r-5)(r-5)"

Now with simple methods, show that the arc of sector is (20-2r). Find the angle of sector in terms of "r". Then substitute the angle to the area of sector and it is proved easily.

9. Feb 18, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are not given the angle, how could you possibly prove that the length of the arc of the sector is 20- 2r? The length obviously depends on [itex]\theta[/itex].

10. Feb 18, 2008 #9
    Indeed it does, but the perimeter also allows to find the Arc length, since the perimeter is the addition of the three sides (Arc length and two radii):

(Length of Arc) + (2 * radius) = Perimeter of Sector

or, Length of Arc = Perimeter of Sector - (2 * radius)

or, Length of Arc = 20 - 2r

11. Feb 18, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

OH! The original post read "a circle with perimeter of 20cm" and when you changed it to "A sector of a circle has a perimeter of 20cm " I was still thinking about the circled and just thought about the length of the arc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?