Proving area with radians

I see now that your formula is correct, very clever. Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly.In summary, a sector of a circle with perimeter 20cm, radius r, and angle θ radians has an area of Acm^2. It can be proven that A = 25-(r-5)^2 by using the formula A = 1/2r^2θ and the fact that the perimeter of the sector is 20cm. By solving for θ and substituting it into the formula, the proof can be easily completed.
resresd
in a circle with perimeter of 20cm a sector has radius r, angle θ radians and area Acm^2
prove that A= 25-(r-5)^2

A=1/2 r^2 θ
c=2Πr

the only thing that I can think to do is c=2Πr therefore 20=2Πr
10=Πr r=10/Π
so then A=1/2 r^2 θ
=1/2 (10/Π)^2 θ
= θ (100/2Π^2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you post the entire question again, and in a neat way, it will make life easier for everybody here, and surely you will get more responses!

EDIT: you can just edit the first post, and delete the others, or ask a PF to delete the others.

Last edited:
i can't seem to get the 2s to show up superscript...is there a particular way?

you might want to use LATEX if you are familiar with that at all? or you can just do it
r^2, and we will know that r is raised to the power of 2.

thanks, i hope this is better

Honestly, it looks to me like that statement is not true and so cannot be proved. For one thing, it does not involve "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and that can't be right.

I believe that the statement should have been like this:

A sector of a circle has a perimeter of 20cm and a area of "A" and the circle has a radius of "r". Prove that "A = 25-(r-5)(r-5)"

Now with simple methods, show that the arc of sector is (20-2r). Find the angle of sector in terms of "r". Then substitute the angle to the area of sector and it is proved easily.

If you are not given the angle, how could you possibly prove that the length of the arc of the sector is 20- 2r? The length obviously depends on [itex]\theta[/itex].

Indeed it does, but the perimeter also allows to find the Arc length, since the perimeter is the addition of the three sides (Arc length and two radii):

(Length of Arc) + (2 * radius) = Perimeter of Sector

or, Length of Arc = Perimeter of Sector - (2 * radius)

or, Length of Arc = 20 - 2r

OH! The original post read "a circle with perimeter of 20cm" and when you changed it to "A sector of a circle has a perimeter of 20cm " I was still thinking about the circled and just thought about the length of the arc.

1. What is the concept of proving area with radians?

Proving area with radians is a method used in mathematics and physics to measure and calculate the area of a sector or portion of a circle by using radians as the unit of measurement instead of traditional units such as degrees.

2. How is the area of a sector calculated using radians?

The formula for calculating the area of a sector in radians is A = (1/2) * r^2 * θ, where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle in radians. This formula is derived from the formula for calculating the area of a circle, A = π * r^2, where π is equal to 180 degrees or π radians.

3. What is the benefit of using radians instead of degrees in calculating area?

Radians are considered a more natural unit of measurement for angles and are especially useful in trigonometry and calculus. When used to calculate the area of a sector, radians provide a more precise measurement and make it easier to compare and analyze different sectors of a circle.

4. How are radians converted into degrees?

One radian is equal to about 57.3 degrees. To convert radians to degrees, multiply the value in radians by (180/π) or approximately 57.3. For example, 2 radians is equal to 2 * (180/π) = 114.6 degrees.

5. Can radians be used to measure the area of any shape?

No, radians are specifically used to measure the area of a sector or portion of a circle. They cannot be used to measure the area of other shapes such as triangles, squares, or rectangles.