1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Bijections

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    Sorry for no tex. When I previewed it it would just come up as not finding the images so I made it in ascii as well as I could.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that each of the rational linear mappings tau_1 tau_2 tau_3 and tau_4 is a bijection of Q(sqrt(2) sqrt(3))

2. Relevant equations

These are meant to resemble piecewise functions.

...........{ sqrt(2) |--> sqrt(2)
    tau_1 : {
    ...........{ sqrt(3) |--> sqrt(3)

...........{ sqrt(2) |--> sqrt(2)
    tau_2 : {
    ...........{ sqrt(3) |--> (-)sqrt(3)

The other two just makes the mapping of sqrt(2) go to the negative and the last one has both going to the negative

3. The attempt at a solution

I seem to be able to argue it in words. I just do not think it is a mathematically correct method. I am new to the whole abstract aspect of math.

Tau_i where i = 1,2,3,4 are just a series of mappings of alpha |--> beta or alpha |--> (-)beta. In the cases alpha |--> beta alpha = beta. This means that if you map two elements x,y such that x =/= y you will get two elements of beta w,v such that w =/= v. Therefore if tau(x) =/= tau(y) w =/= v and it is injective. To prove surjective every element of beta has a value in alpha since the value in alpha equals the value in beta. Thus it is not restricted to any range of values.

I would use the same argument for the negative I don't know any special things I should look out for since I believe there is a number y such that x+y=0 where y is denoted as -x. The only problem I can see with this is that was for the reals and I am dealing with rationals. Thanks for any advice.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\tau_2[/itex] takes [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] into [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] into [itex]-\sqrt{3}[/itex]

Any number is [itex]Q(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})[/itex] can be written in the form [itex]a+ b\sqrt{2}+ c\sqrt{3}+ d\sqrt{6}[/itex]
    (I'm going to call [itex]\tau_2[/itex] "f" since it is easier to type!)
    Then [itex]f(a+ b\sqrt{2}+ c\sqrt{3}+ d\sqrt{6})[/itex]= [itex]f(a)+ f(b)f(\sqrt{2})+ f(c)f(\sqrt{3})+ f(d)f(\sqrt{2})f(\sqrt{3})[/itex]= [itex]a+ b\sqrt{2}- c\sqrt{3}- d\sqrt{6}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?