1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving by induction

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a "8 digit number" abcdabcd.That means 1st digit =5th digit, 2nd digit =6th digit etc. Also, note that the smallest possible "8 digit number" is 10001(i.e.00010001). Prove this by induction that it is divisible by 137.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can prove this actually but not able to find it by induction. I don't know how to present and start the assumption and k+1 phase.

Thanks for helping :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The smallest one is given, so you start by showing that 10001 is divisible by 137.
    Suppose now that for some four digit number (possibly padded by zeros from the left) A, the assumption is true, that is the number obtained by writing A twice in a row is divisible by 137. Can you write a formula for this number? Then the induction step consists of adding 1 to A and showing that the difference is divisible by 137.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?