Proving Cauchy Sequences with Cosine Function

In summary: I don't know how to finish that though. :(Thanks for your help!In summary, the problem is trying to find a number N such that for any two numbers m and n that are both greater than N, |{X_n - X_m}| < \epsilon .
Dollydaggerxo
Homework Statement

Well, my problem is proving that sequences are in fact Cauchy sequences. I know all the conditions that need to be satisfied yet I cannot seem to apply it to questions. (Well, only the easy ones!)

My question is, prove that [tex]X_{n}[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence, given that [tex]X_{n+1}= f(X_{n})[/tex] where f(x)=cos(x).

I have been told that [tex]|X_{n+1}-X_{n}| \leq 2^{(1-n)}[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

Well basically, I tried using m,n>N and N>0 and m>n>N to say that

[tex]|X_m-X_n| = cos(X_{m-1}) - cos(X_{n-1})[/tex]

because this is the way i was doing it for simpler sequences.

However, I haven't got a clue where I would go from here which leads me to thinking I have gone the wrong way about it!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, how do we prove that something is a Cauchy sequence?

First, a very mean man who hates undergrad analysis students is going to choose an [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. What we have to do is, for whatever [itex]\epsilon [/itex] he chooses, be able provide a number N such that for any two numbers m and n that are both greater than N,

[tex] |{X_n - X_m}| < \epsilon [/tex].

If we can do this, then it's a Cauchy sequence.

So now it would be nice if we were able to do cool things with [itex] cos X_{m-1} [/itex], but I don't really see how that's going to help us. However, the inequality they told you about looks promising. Try to figure out a way to provide a number N in response to any [itex] \epsilon [/itex] using that inequality.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Here is what I have done:

Take m,n>N
N>0
[tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]

Take m = n+1 then

[tex]|X_m-X_n| \leq 2^{1-n} \leq 2^{-n}[/tex]

But then i don't know where to fit epsilon into it?

I actually have the answer in front of me, but it doesn't use epsilon at all, or N, which is what I have been used to using. So I wanted to see if there was a way to do it with them included.

What definition of Cauchy sequences are you using that doesn't contain an epsilon? Maybe there is some other variable used, like a lot of calculus textbooks now use "h" instead of [itex] \DELTA x [/itex] in the definition of a derivative?

In any event, you're not allowed to choose m and n; the inequality has to be true for ANY m and n which are both greater than N. Otherwise, you'd have the following (FLAWED) proof:

Let [itex] \{ x_n \} = \ln x [/itex]. Let [itex] m = n+1 [/itex]. Then [itex] |X_m - X_n| = | \ln (n+1) - \ln n | = \ln \frac{n+1}{n} [/itex].

Now [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln \frac{n+1}{n} = 0. [/itex] Hence for any [itex] \epsilon [/itex], there is an N such that for n > N [itex] \ln \frac{n+1}{n} [/itex] < [itex] \epsilon [/itex]. So [itex] \{ x_n \}[/itex] is Cauchy.

Of course, this isn't true; ln x doesn't converge at all.

Yes I thought that was odd. But it is a follow on question so perhaps they had proved it before, I'm not sure.
But I want to be able to do it just based on this.

So I can't take m = n+1, that makes sense. I was just clutching at straws really, trying to use the inequality provided.

So could we take [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] and then we have [tex]|X_m-X_n| \leq 2^{1-n}[/tex]
but m,n>N, so if we take N > 1

[tex]|X_m-X_n| \leq 2^{1-n} \leq 2^{1-N} \leq 2^{-N}[/tex]

Is that wrong to just assume that?
Sorry, I am not very good at these at all! Thanks for your patience :)

You might try doing this.

Let [itex] \epsilon = .1 [/itex].

Now give me N such that that no matter what m and n I choose greater than N, [itex] | X_m - X_n | < \epsilon [/itex].

Then try it for [itex] \epsilon = .001 [/itex]. Then .00001, etc, until you get the method down.

Then generalize so that you can give me an N for any [itex] \epsilon [/itex] I choose.

Then in your proof, just write down the method of generating Ns in response to an [itex] \epsilon [/itex] and show that it makes [itex] | X_m - X_n | < \epsilon [/itex].

There will be a DIFFERENT N for each [itex] \epsilon [/itex], by the way. As [itex] \epsilon [/itex] gets smaller, N gets bigger.

you don't have to go back to the cauchy definition, perhaps it was proven somewhere that either

[tex] | a_{n} - a_{n+1} | \leq c^{n} [/tex] where |c| < 1
or
[tex] | a_{n} - a_{n+1} | \leq c^{-n} [/tex]
implies that the sequence is cauchy. In both cases, you can obviously see that as n gets large, c^n (where 0 < c < 1) or c^(-n) can be made arbitrarily small.

even if it was not proven formally anywhere, you can still use this

Okay that sort of makes sense, i have C defined in the set [-1,1] in a previous question. (if it is the same C !)
but what about the [tex]2^{n-1}[/tex]
where does that come in in terms of C ?

[tex] 2^{1-n} [/tex] becomes small as n becomes large

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms become closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, the difference between any two terms in the sequence becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence goes on.

2. How do you prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence is Cauchy, you must show that for any positive real number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all terms are within that distance from each other. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and manipulating the inequality to show that it is satisfied for all terms in the sequence.

3. What is the importance of proving a sequence is Cauchy?

Proving a sequence is Cauchy is important because it is a necessary condition for a sequence to converge. This means that if a sequence is not Cauchy, it cannot converge to a limit and thus, is not a valid mathematical object.

4. Can a sequence be both Cauchy and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both Cauchy and divergent. By definition, a Cauchy sequence is one where the terms become closer and closer together, indicating convergence. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a specific limit.

5. What are some common techniques for proving a sequence is Cauchy?

Some common techniques for proving a sequence is Cauchy include using the definition of a Cauchy sequence, using the triangle inequality, and using the squeeze theorem. These techniques can help manipulate the terms in the sequence to show that they get closer and closer together, satisfying the definition of a Cauchy sequence.