1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proving Centripetal Force

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    Hi there, sorry if this is not in the right section, but i have to do an investigation, i have chosen to prove f=mrw2. I will be using a rotational air table, and this the handheld whirly string and mass experiemnt - sorry to be vague. basically i am not the best physicist so i would very much appreciate if anyone could tell me what variable to change, and the consequent desired effect in my endevour to prove the equation. I am confused. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2
    Can somebody please tell me how i can prove f=mrw? i have rotational air table and a manual method available. Can i for each experiment change the variables of the equation and show the force change and show how it complies? For instance in one experiment i will alter mass, another i will alter radius and the last angular velocity? Thanks

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The proof is in the calculus; the lab results compare your measurements with the calculated ones. Better check that equation though before you compare anything. Altering mass, radius, and angular velocity is a very good idea....

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4
    thanks for your reply, in relation to checking the equation - im not sure what you mean sorry

6. Mar 2, 2010 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In post 2 I guess you made a typo error. F = m(w^2)r.

7. Mar 3, 2010 #6
    ahh right thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook