Proving Continuity of a Piecewise Function

• Thread starter krissycokl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: However, the book fails to mention that you need to also show that the limit is also f(x0), which is what I am trying to do.In summary, the function is not continuous at x=0.
krissycokl

Homework Statement

Define
f = { [itex]x^2[/itex] if [itex]x \geq 0[/itex]
[itex]x[/itex] if [itex]x < 0[/itex]​

At what points is the function f | [itex]\Re -> \Re[/itex] continous? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

A function f from D to R is continuous at x0 in D provided that whenever {xn} is a sequence in D that converges to x0, the image sequence {f(xn)} converges to f(x0).

The Attempt at a Solution

Check x=0. {1/n} converges to 0. {f(1/n)} converges to 1. f(0) = 0. 0 ≠ 1. Thus the function is not continuous at x=0.

When it comes to proving it's continuous elsewhere...that's where I have a problem.

The example in the book for proving that a function is continuous at every other point simply states that "If a sequence {xn} converges to x0, then there is an index N such that f(xn) = f(x0) for all indices n > N.
Thus, lim (n->∞) f(xn) = f(x0), and so f is continuous at the point x0."

How is that a proof? That logic doesn't even exclude x=0. Can someone either elucidate what they've done, or explain an alternate way of proving this function's continuity at all points other than x=0?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
f(1/n) does not converge to 1. It converges to zero.

krissycokl said:

Homework Statement

Define
f = { [itex]x^2[/itex] if [itex]x \geq 0[/itex]
[itex]x[/itex] if [itex]x < 0[/itex]​

At what points is the function f | [itex]\Re -> \Re[/itex] continous? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

A function f from D to R is continuous at x0 in D provided that whenever {xn} is a sequence in D that converges to x0, the image sequence {f(xn)} converges to f(x0).

The Attempt at a Solution

Check x=0. {1/n} converges to 0. {f(1/n)} converges to 1. f(0) = 0. 0 ≠ 1. Thus the function is not continuous at x=0.

As SammyS points out {1/n} → 0. But that doesn't settle the question anyway. You have to show the limit works for all sequences converging to 0 if you're going to prove it that way.
When it comes to proving it's continuous elsewhere...that's where I have a problem.

The example in the book for proving that a function is continuous at every other point simply states that "If a sequence {xn} converges to x0, then there is an index N such that f(xn) = f(x0) for all indices n > N."

No, I don't believe your book says that.

How is that a proof? That logic doesn't even exclude x=0. Can someone either elucidate what they've done, or explain an alternate way of proving this function's continuity at all points other than x=0?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have theorems such as "polynomials are continuous"? You can use that to show continuity for x away from 0. At 0 you need to show the right and left limits are both f(0).

Sorry, I copied the problem incorrectly. The piecewise function should read:

f(x) = x^2, if x<= 0
x+1, if x>0​

Thus, again:

You have to show the limit works for all sequences converging to 0 if you're going to prove it that way.

This would be correct if I was trying to prove that it is continuous at x=0, but I'm showing that it is NOT continuous at x=0. Thus a counterexample is sufficient. What I'm having trouble with is discovering a general method of showing that ALL of a function is continuous (excluding the point x=0)

My text is Fitzpatrick Advanced Calculus 2e, and I've scanned the page in question.

bogusproof.jpg

Do you have theorems such as "polynomials are continuous"? You can use that to show continuity for x away from 0. At 0 you need to show the right and left limits are both f(0).

No such theorem, at least not for a few sections. I think I understand, though. Using the sum and product properties of limits, I can say that for x<0, lim (n->∞) f(xn) = lim (n->∞) (xn2) = (lim (n->∞) x0))*(lim (n->∞) x0) = x02 = f(x0)

Then after repeating the same process for x>0, I would conclude that f(x) is continuous from (-∞,0)U(0,∞).

I suppose this is what that particular example in the book was trying to show, but it was woefully inadequate as an illustration of the process and seemed more general than it was meant to. I don't much like this textbook.

Last edited:
krissycokl said:
The example in the book for proving that a function is continuous at every other point simply states that "If a sequence {xn} converges to x0, then there is an index N such that f(xn) = f(x0) for all indices n > N.

LCKurtz said:

krissycokl said:
bogusproof.jpg

The only reason that quote is correct is because the specific example to which it refers is constant nearby x if x ≠ 0. Very misleading to quote that "theorem" out of context.

I never claimed it was a theorem, and indeed referenced it as part of an example. But, yes, I can see where it was misleading.

My question stands, though. How is that sufficient justification, even within the example I've scanned? It seems to be glossing over important steps such as establishing a neighborhood of x for which the limit holds. Not to mention that my text doesn't establish the definition of a neighborhood until the next chapter.

Such a lax progression of "logic" seems out of place in what is supposed to be a formal proof, especially when it is the sole example the text offers order for proving continuity in an interval.

What I am asking is if someone can more clearly delineate those last few steps, because I do not feel this example sufficient for my understanding.

Thanks.

krissycokl said:
I never claimed it was a theorem, and indeed referenced it as part of an example. But, yes, I can see where it was misleading.

My question stands, though. How is that sufficient justification, even within the example I've scanned? It seems to be glossing over important steps such as establishing a neighborhood of x for which the limit holds. Not to mention that my text doesn't establish the definition of a neighborhood until the next chapter.

Such a lax progression of "logic" seems out of place in what is supposed to be a formal proof, especially when it is the sole example the text offers order for proving continuity in an interval.

What I am asking is if someone can more clearly delineate those last few steps, because I do not feel this example sufficient for my understanding.

Thanks.

I tend to agree with you that it isn't the best example and it isn't written in complete detail. It depends on how much detail is required. For example, he just asserts 1/n → 0 as n → ∞ without proof. It may be OK to assume that is obvious. Similarly, it may be OK to state the "non-theorem :smile:" is also obvious for this example given that the function is constant on those two intervals. If you give the author the benefit of the doubt on what is obvious, then his example is OK.

Normally in a problem like that, once you have covered the basics, you would assert continuity away from 0 since the formulas are polynomials, then show the left and right limits at zero are different, again using continuity of the left and right polynomials.

I don't know if I really addressed your question. But I do think you understand what is going on and wouldn't be too concerned about it.

1. What is the definition of continuity?

The concept of continuity refers to the idea that a function or curve is unbroken and has no abrupt changes or discontinuities. In other words, it can be continuously traced without any breaks or jumps.

2. How do you prove continuity at a specific point?

To prove continuity at a specific point, one must show that the limit of the function as x approaches that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. What is the importance of proving continuity?

Proving continuity is crucial in mathematics and science because it allows us to make accurate predictions and interpretations based on the behavior of a function. It also helps us identify any potential issues or inconsistencies in our models.

4. Can a function be continuous everywhere?

Yes, a function can be continuous everywhere if it is continuous at every point in its domain. This means that the limit of the function exists and is equal to the function's value at every point within its domain.

5. What are some common techniques used to prove continuity everywhere?

Some common techniques used to prove continuity everywhere include the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, the intermediate value theorem, and the continuity rules for basic functions such as polynomials, rational functions, and trigonometric functions.