1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Contractive

Tags:
  1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I worked on this question and I made it so far, and now I am stuck on how to finish it. Here is the problem and below I will explain what I attempted.

upload_2016-7-6_8-41-4.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know looking at the last part about using previous homework, I want to prove that the function is contractive. If I can prove that, I can use a previous assignment which says contractive functions have a fixed point. Here is what I have in my proof so far.
    upload_2016-7-6_8-43-44.png

I am stuck now and not completely sure where to go next. Any advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what your last line in the picture means. Nevertheless, are you allowed to apply Banach's fixed-point theorem?

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    Yes I could use that theorem. Would I just need to completely erase everything I did and start over?

I was getting the last part from using the previous homework problems below.

upload_2016-7-6_10-33-2.png

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4

fresh_42

So you are already done. The other exercise (Lipschitz continuity for ##f## on the condition on ##f'##) showed you that ##b## is your Lipschitz constant. Since ##b<1, \; f## is a contraction and the fixed-point theorem applies.

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5
    What other exercise are you talking about? I am lost on that statement. I understand the reasoning afterwards.

7. Jul 6, 2016 #6
    I think you are looking at the proof I found in the book and asked about. I get it now.

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Mean value theorem: ##|f(x) - f(y)| = f'(t) |x-y| < b |x-y|##, i.e. ##f## is a contraction because ##b<1##.

9. Jul 6, 2016 #8
    Thanks I see it now. I forgot I could use that. Thanks.

10. Jul 6, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even easier: just use very elementary methods. If ##|f'(t)| \leq m## on ##R## (or an an interval ##[a,b]##), that means that ##-m \leq f'(t) \leq m##. Thus, for ##x_1 < x_2## we have
    [tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \leq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} m \, dt = m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
    and
    [tex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} f'(t) \, dt \geq \int_{x_1}^{x_2} (-m) \, dt = -m (x_2 - x_1) [/tex]
    Thus, ##|f(x_2) - f(x_1)| \leq m |x_2 - x_1|##.

11. Jul 6, 2016 #10
    That works too. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted