1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving convergence

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    1. Prove that if a sequence (bn) is bounded and the sum |(an)| going from n= 1 to infinity converges, then the sum of the product of sequences (an)(bn) converges.

2. Relevant equations

3. Given that the sequence bn is bounded it is convergent, and by the absolute convergence test if the sum of the absolute value of the sequence (an) converges then so does the sum of the sequence of (an), therefore the sum of the product of the sequences an and bn converges.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A bounded sequence is not necessarily convergent.

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    Oh yes that's true. So can I say that the sum of the product of a bounded sequence times a convergent sequence will be convergent? I'm assuming that the bounded sequence bn times the convergent sequence an will make the sum of their product convergent

5. May 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can 'say that'. Anybody can 'say that'. Aren't you supposed to 'prove that'? I would think about setting up a comparison test...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?