1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving d^l[(x-1)^l]/dx^l = l!

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sorry I can't do this in latex, the PC I'm on doesn't display it and I can't confidently reel it off without checking so I'll have to do this in an ugly way! :/

Prove:
    d^n/dx^n [(x-1)^n] = n!
    For integer n

2. Relevant equations

I'm trying induction but it's never been my strong point, I'm not convinced I actually understand how induction works, whenever I try and get my head around it, it seems circular..

3. The attempt at a solution

Testing when n=0 gives (x-1)^0 = 1 = 0! so it holds when n=0

Now assuming true for n=k gives:
    d^k/dx^k [(x-1)^k] = k!

If this holds for n=k, that it holds when n=k+1 must be implied by n=k being true:
    d^(k+1)/dx^(k+1) [x-1]^(k+1) = d^k/dx^k(d/dx((x-1)^(k+1))) separating the differentiation operator
    = d^k/dx^k((k+1)(x-1)^k) evaluating the inner derivative
    = (k+1)d^k/dx^k((x-1)^k) bringing the constant (k+1) outside the derivative
    = (k+1) k! using the result I'm trying to prove
    = (k+1)!

Sorry, that's hideous.. is it OK?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    Yes, it is hideous, but (unless my eyes glazed over something important), your induction works just fine!

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    OK thanks :)

A further question:
    This proof is actually part of my solution to Q20 part C on this paper:
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/nst-pastpapers/2009/PaperNST_IA_2.pdf [Broken]

I've managed to do the proof OK and get the required result but it seems a bit odd to me. I'm not sure why P(1) = 1 when if we sub x=0 into v, we get 0^l for all values of l greater than 0.

If v(1) = 0 for all positive l, then surely P(1) = 0 as well since P(1) is simply the derivative of v(1) l times multiplied by a constant factor?
    Thanks

Edit: That was dumb of me... just realised we're taking the 'l'th derivative of the function v at x=1.. just because v(1) = 0, doesn't mean its derivatives are.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook