Proving DeMorgan's Second Law

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the first DeMorgan's law and the double negation law to derive the second DeMorgan's Law. The first DeMorgan's law states that - (P and Q) is equivalent to - P or - Q, and the double negation law states that - - P is equivalent to P. The second DeMorgan's law is - (P or Q) is equivalent to - P and - Q. The attempt at a solution involves using the negation law and the first DeMorgan's law to prove the second DeMorgan's law. The method suggested is using a table with different combinations of 0 and 1 for P and Q to show the equivalence
Herricane

Homework Statement

Use the first DeMorgan's law and the double negation law to derive the second DeMorgan's Law

Homework Equations

First DeMorgan's law is - (P and Q) is equivalent to - P or - Q

Negation Law is - - P is equivalent to P

Second DeMorgan's law is - (P or Q) is equivalent to - P and - Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in - - P for P. Should I do this for Q too? However this is not taking me anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I found why I am doing it wrong. I need to start with

-P and -Q then use negation law
- [ -P and -Q]
- [ -(-P and -Q)] then use first law
- [ P or Q ] which is equivalent to -P and -Q !

Unless I'm mistaken, you could prove this using a type of table with P, Q, P V Q and -(P V Q) at the top columns, and filling the columns with P and Q out with every possible combination of 0 and 1, and calculating the outcome. This table should then be equivalent to another table with P, Q, -P, -Q, -P & -Q at the top columns. i.e., for example, if P = 1 and Q = 0, the statements you with to prove should both equal 0.

Sorry if this was confusing.

1. What is DeMorgan's Second Law?

DeMorgan's Second Law is a mathematical law that states that the negation of a disjunction (OR) is equivalent to the conjunction (AND) of the negations of the individual terms.

2. How is DeMorgan's Second Law proved?

DeMorgan's Second Law can be proved using a truth table or by using logical equivalences and algebraic manipulations.

3. Why is DeMorgan's Second Law important?

DeMorgan's Second Law is important because it allows us to rewrite complex logical expressions in a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and understand them.

4. What are some applications of DeMorgan's Second Law?

DeMorgan's Second Law can be applied in logic circuits, computer programming, and in simplifying Boolean algebraic expressions.

5. Can DeMorgan's Second Law be extended to more than two terms?

Yes, DeMorgan's Second Law can be extended to more than two terms. It can be generalized to any number of terms in a logical expression.