1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving det(AB)=det(A)det(B)

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the relation det(AB)=det(A)det(B)

2. Relevant equations

det A = [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I have done:

(detA)(detB)= [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex] [itex]\sum_{k}B_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
    = [itex]\sum_{k}(A_{kq}B_{kq}) C_{kq}[/itex]
    = [itex]\sum_{k}(AB)_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
    =det(A+B)

My question is: is it mathematically proper to factor out the Ckq in the summation, or am I breaking some matrix/summation rule here?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is riddled with serious errors. First: the cofactors ##C_{ij}## depend on the matrix, so you have one cofactor ##C_{ij}(A)## for matrix ##A## and a different one ##C_{ij}(B)## for matrix ##B##. Second, you cannot use the same summation index in both factors, so you need to write something like
    [tex] \det(A) \det(B) = \sum_{k} a_{kp}C_{kp}(A) \sum_{m} b_{mq} C_{mq}(B),[/tex]
    and this does not really lead anywhere.

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    Ok, I will try to prove it without summation notation. Thank you

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Why don't you try considering two cases, one where A is singular and another where A is nonsingular?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook