Proving Differentiability: Vector Calculus Homework

In summary, the homework statement states that the equation f(a+h)-f(a) = c\times h+2c(a.h)+c(h.h) can be solved using vector calculus.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1228/vectorcalc.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f(\bf{a})={\bf c\times h} + \|{\bf a+h} \| ^2 {\bf c} - \|{\bf a}\| ^2 {\bf c}[/itex]

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f({\bf a}) = {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + {\bf c} [({\bf a}+ {\bf h}) \cdot ({\bf a} + {\bf h})] - {\bf c}({\bf a}\cdot {\bf a})[/itex]

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f({\bf a}) = {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + {\bf c} [({\bf a}\cdot {\bf a})+ 2({\bf a} \cdot {\bf h}) + ({\bf h}\cdot {\bf h})] - {\bf c}({\bf a}\cdot {\bf a})[/itex]

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f({\bf a}) = {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + {\bf c} ({\bf a}\cdot {\bf a}) + 2{\bf c}({\bf a} \cdot {\bf h}) + {\bf c}({\bf h}\cdot {\bf h}) - {\bf c}({\bf a}\cdot {\bf a})[/itex]

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f({\bf a}) = {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + 2 {\bf c} ({\bf a}\cdot {\bf h}) + {\bf c}({\bf h}\cdot {\bf h})[/itex]

Is this correct up to here?

From here can I do this?:

[itex]f({\bf a+h})-f({\bf a}) = {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + {\bf c} (2{\bf a}\cdot {\bf h} + {\bf h}\cdot {\bf h})[/itex]

Can I say that [itex]Df(a)(h) = (2{\bf a}\cdot {\bf c} + {\bf h}\cdot {\bf c})(h)[/itex]

[itex]E_f ({\bf a, h}) = c \times h[/itex]

But [itex]\frac{E_f ({\bf a, h})}{\|h\|} = \frac{c \times h}{\|h\|} [/itex] doesn't tend to 0 as h tends to 0!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Checking differentiability is always a little involved. Certainly if you try to prove it from the defintion, which is quite hard sometimes. Luckily, there are theorems which make our life easier. I'm talking about the theorem which says that "if a function has continuous partial derivatives at a, then it is differentiable at a".

So, what I suggest is try to take the partial derivatives of f. But before we do this, we must try to write f in a suitable form. To do this, write [tex]c=(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex] and [tex]h=(h_1,h_2,h_3)[/tex]. Then

[tex]f(h_1,h_2,h_3)=(c_1,c_2,c_3)\times (h_1,h_2,h_3)+\|(h_1,h_2,h_3)\|^2(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex]

Try to calculate the vectorial product and the norm, then you will obtain a nice function.

The next step is to take the partial derivatives [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial h_i}[/tex] and to see if the result is continuous. If so, then our function is differentiable.

After doing this, if you really want to know the function Df(a)(h), then you can use the formula

[tex]Df(a)(h)=\sum_{i=1}^3{h_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial h_i}(a)}[/tex]

Good luck!

micromass said:
Checking differentiability is always a little involved. Certainly if you try to prove it from the defintion, which is quite hard sometimes. Luckily, there are theorems which make our life easier. I'm talking about the theorem which says that "if a function has continuous partial derivatives at a, then it is differentiable at a".

So, what I suggest is try to take the partial derivatives of f. But before we do this, we must try to write f in a suitable form. To do this, write [tex]c=(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex] and [tex]h=(h_1,h_2,h_3)[/tex]. Then

[tex]f(h_1,h_2,h_3)=(c_1,c_2,c_3)\times (h_1,h_2,h_3)+\|(h_1,h_2,h_3)\|^2(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex]

Try to calculate the vectorial product and the norm, then you will obtain a nice function.

The next step is to take the partial derivatives [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial h_i}[/tex] and to see if the result is continuous. If so, then our function is differentiable.

After doing this, if you really want to know the function Df(a)(h), then you can use the formula

[tex]Df(a)(h)=\sum_{i=1}^3{h_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial h_i}(a)}[/tex]

Good luck!

Thanks but there is a very big problem with that. That is the question tells me to use the given definition!

Hmm. Thne I still suggest to write out the function with [tex]c=(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex] and [tex]h=(h_1,h_2,h_3)[/tex] and see where that gets us...

micromass said:
Hmm. Thne I still suggest to write out the function with [tex]c=(c_1,c_2,c_3)[/tex] and [tex]h=(h_1,h_2,h_3)[/tex] and see where that gets us...

Well I've realized that, most fundamentally, Df(a) should be a linear map depending only on a (not h). So what I've written isn't even potentially correct.

On a secondary level, I've ignored the c x h term (and left it as part of the error). This term doesn't go to 0 as h does, so I have to account for it in the derivative rather than the error term.

Can you see how?

So you've gotten to the expression

[tex]f(a+h)-f(a)=c\times h+2c(a.h)+c(h.h)[/tex]

Try taking [tex]Df(a)(h)=c\times h+ 2c(a.h) [/tex]. That should do the trick...

micromass said:
So you've gotten to the expression

[tex]f(a+h)-f(a)=c\times h+2c(a.h)+c(h.h)[/tex]

Try taking [tex]Df(a)(h)=c\times h+ 2c(a.h) [/tex]. That should do the trick...

But Df(a) is still not a linear map is it (as it contains h)?

I don't really see your problem? why can't it be linear?
Surely we have that [tex]Df(a)(\alpha h+\beta h^\prime)=\alpha Df(a)(h)+\beta Df(a)(h^\prime)[/tex]

micromass said:
I don't really see your problem? why can't it be linear?
Surely we have that [tex]Df(a)(\alpha h+\beta h^\prime)=\alpha Df(a)(h)+\beta Df(a)(h^\prime)[/tex]

So from the expression

[itex]f({\bf a} + {\bf h})-f({\bf a})= {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + 2 {\bf c}({\bf a}\cdot {\bf h}) + {\bf c}({\bf h} \cdot {\bf h})[/tex]

can I take [itex]Df({\bf a})({\bf h})= {\bf c} \times {\bf h} + 2{\bf c} ({\bf a} \cdot {\bf h}) [/itex] .

This is linear since we have that [itex]Df({\bf a})(\alpha {\bf h} + \beta {\bf h^\prime})=\alpha Df({\bf a})({\bf h})+\beta Df({\bf a})({\bf h^\prime})[/itex]

And take [itex]E_f ({\bf a, h}) = {\bf c(h\cdot h}) = {\bf c\|h\|}^2[/itex]

And [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{{\bf h}\to {\bf 0}} \frac{E_f ({\bf a, h})}{\|h\|} = \lim_{{\bf h}\to {\bf 0}} \frac{{\bf c\| h\|}^2}{\|{\bf h}\|} = \lim_{{\bf h}\to {\bf 0}} {\bf c\|h\|} = {\bf 0}[/itex]

Yes, that's about it!

micromass said:
Yes, that's about it!

But [itex]Df(a)[/itex] is dependent upon h as well as a isn't it? It should only be dependent on a.

Df(a) is only dependent of a. Df(a)(h) is dependent of a and h, as it should be...

micromass said:
Df(a) is only dependent of a. Df(a)(h) is dependent of a and h, as it should be...

So what does [itex]Df(a)[/itex] equal?

Df(a) is a function with variable h. It only depends of a.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

Differentiability of a function means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the rate of change of the function can be determined at any given point.

2. How do you prove differentiability of a function?

To prove differentiability, you must show that the limit of the difference quotient (also known as the derivative) exists at every point in the function's domain. This can be done using various methods such as the definition of differentiability, the limit definition of a derivative, or using specific rules for finding derivatives.

3. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Continuity refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a well-defined derivative at every point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not on its entire domain?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at a specific point but not on its entire domain. This can occur when there is a "break" or discontinuity in the function at a certain point, which prevents the limit of the difference quotient from existing.

5. Why is proving differentiability important in mathematics and science?

Differentiability is an essential concept in mathematics and science because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It is used in many areas, such as optimization, modeling, and physics, to determine rates of change, motion, and growth of various systems and phenomena. Proving differentiability also helps us to determine the validity and accuracy of mathematical models and theories.