Proving differentiability

In summary: I don't know what the function g(x) is, but if the limit exists, then g'(x) also exists, so g(x) is differentiable at x.
Lily@pie

Homework Statement

If a function satisfies g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}, must g be differentiable at x? Provide a proof or counter example

Homework Equations

From the formal definition of differentiation, I know that g'(x) = lim (h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h}

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that g must be differentiable near x but not at x.

As differentiability implies continuity, if g is not differentiable at x, the point g(x) is not defined at x. However, the lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} will still exist as we don't care about the limit at that particular point but near that point.

But I just couldn't find a counter example that represent this situation. Or, am I wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Lily@pie said:
If a function satisfies g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}

I don't understand something. You say that g'(x) is that limit, but what is g'(x)? If it is the derivative, then there's something fishy, since then you assume that g'(x) exists...

But for your question: can you give me a function that is not differentiable at a point? Can you check the condition on that function?

Edit: micromass is right, I assumed that you meant: "If, for a function g, lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} exists and g is differentiable, show that g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}".

I think that g must be differentiable near x but not at x.
What does "near x" mean? I mean, can you express that with a limit?

As differentiability implies continuity, if g is not differentiable at x, the point g(x) is not defined at x.
That is not true. Differentiability implies continuity. So if g is differentiable at x, then g is continuous at x. The converse statement is: if g is not continuous, then it is also non-differentiable.
As a counter-example to your statement, take g(x) = |x| (the absolute value function). It is non-differentiable at x = 0, yet g(x) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Try rewriting
lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)]/2h}
as
lim(h->0) {(g(x+h)-g(x))-(g(x-h) - g(x))]/2h}

micromass said:
I don't understand something. You say that g'(x) is that limit, but what is g'(x)? If it is the derivative, then there's something fishy, since then you assume that g'(x) exists...

But for your question: can you give me a function that is not differentiable at a point? Can you check the condition on that function?

g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} is the condition given in the question. And if I draw the graph on it, lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} is the same as lim (h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h}; which is the formal definition of g'(x)

I couldn't find a counter example actually. But I couldn't find a way to prove too.

Lily@pie said:
g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} is the condition given in the question. And if I draw the graph on it, lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} is the same as lim (h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h}; which is the formal definition of g'(x)

I couldn't find a counter example actually. But I couldn't find a way to prove too.

Well, if that's the question then the question is ill-posed. You can't use g'(x) without knowing that g is differentiable... I have no idea what they're trying to say...

CompuChip said:
Edit: micromass is right, I assumed that you meant: "If, for a function g, lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} exists and g is differentiable, show that g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}".

What does "near x" mean? I mean, can you express that with a limit?

That is not true. Differentiability implies continuity. So if g is differentiable at x, then g is continuous at x. The converse statement is: if g is not continuous, then it is also non-differentiable.
As a counter-example to your statement, take g(x) = |x| (the absolute value function). It is non-differentiable at x = 0, yet g(x) = 0.

Try rewriting
lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)]/2h}
as
lim(h->0) {(g(x+h)-g(x))-(g(x-h) - g(x))]/2h}

For instance, the limit when approaching x a little bit from the left is the same as the limit when approaching x a little bit from the right must be equal for the limit to exist. But it is not necessary for the function to be defined at x.

The question want us to prove that g must be differentiable at x if g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}. I assume they want us to prove the limit exist?

micromass said:
Well, if that's the question then the question is ill-posed. You can't use g'(x) without knowing that g is differentiable... I have no idea what they're trying to say...

I'm confused ><

Because the question have 2 parts.
The 1st part is assuming g is differentiable at x, prove g'(x) = lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}. -- (1)
And I have proven that.

The 2nd part is for a function that satisfy (1) at some point x, must g be differentiable at x?

Last edited:
Okie... I'm so sorry...

I asked my lecturer about it and he say the question is phrased wrongly...

It should be if lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}, must g be differentiable at x?

Lily@pie said:
Okie... I'm so sorry...

I asked my lecturer about it and he say the question is phrased wrongly...

It should be if lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}, must g be differentiable at x?

You mean, I think, that if [itex]lim_{h\to 0}[g(x+h)- g(x- h)/2[/itex] exists, must g be differentiable at x?

Look at g(x)= |x|.

HallsofIvy said:
You mean, I think, that if [itex]lim_{h\to 0}[g(x+h)- g(x- h)/2[/itex] exists, must g be differentiable at x?

Look at g(x)= |x|.

for g(x) = |x|

lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} = 1

but
g'(x) = lim (h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h} does not exist.

So, it is not necessary for g to be differentiable... Right?

Thanks so much.

Just curious, are there any reasons for this situation? Because I always thought
lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h}= lim (h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x)]/h}

Oh I'm so sorry. I haven't learn differentiation for abs values.

I recalculated but lim(h->0) {[g(x+h)-g(x-h)/2h} is also undefined when x=0...

My calculations:
lim(h->0) {[|x+h|-|x-h|]/2h}
When x=0
=lim(h->0) {[|h|-|-h|]/2h}
when |h| - |-h|, it is 0, but 2h is also 0.

What did i do wrong?

Yes,
[tex]\frac{0}{2h}= 0[/tex]
as long as h is not 0. Therefore the limit is 0. It does not matter that you get "0/0" at h= 0. What happens at x= a is irrelevant to the limit [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex].

(In taking the limit of the difference quotient to find the derivative, the denominator always goes to 0!)

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{|0+h|- |0- h|}{2h}= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{0}{h}= 0[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{|0+h|- |0|}{h}[/tex]
does NOT exist because the two "onesided" limits are not the same:

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0^+}\frac{|h|}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^+}\frac{h}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^+} 1= 1[/tex]
because, with h approaching 0 from above, h> 0 and |h|= h.

But
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0^-}\frac{|h|}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^-}\frac{-h}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0^-} -1= -1[/tex]
because, with h approaching 0 from below, h< 0 and |h|= -h.

1. What is differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A differentiable function is one that has a well-defined tangent line at every point on its graph.

2. How is differentiability proven?

In order to prove differentiability, one must show that the function is continuous and that the difference quotient (limit of the slope of a secant line) approaches a finite value as the interval between two points on the graph approaches zero.

3. Why is differentiability important?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to analyze and make predictions about the behavior of functions. It also helps us to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point, which has many practical applications in fields like physics and economics.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points and not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at some points and not others. This usually occurs when there is a sharp corner or discontinuity in the function, which causes the difference quotient to approach different values from different directions.

5. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. A function can be continuous at a point but not differentiable, while a function must be continuous in order to be differentiable. Essentially, differentiability is a stronger condition that requires both continuity and smoothness of a function.