1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving dN/ds=−κT+τB

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Currently revising for a differential geometry exam. The question I am working on is one of those types where the next part of the question follows from the last. I've gotten to the point where I have proven T⋅dNds=−κ,

2. Relevant equations

The next part is where I got stuck, which is to prove dN/ds=−κT+τB. I looked at the mark scheme

3. The attempt at a solution
    it said "Follows from previous item, and B=T×N". I simply don't see how it follows, though.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You know that [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{N}}{ds}[/itex] must be orthogonal to [itex]\mathbf{N}[/itex]. Hence [itex]\frac{d\mathbf{N}}{ds} = C\mathbf{T} + D\mathbf{B}[/itex] for some [itex]C(s)[/itex] and [itex]D(s)[/itex]. You have shown that [itex]C = -\kappa[/itex]. How do you think you should go about finding [itex]D[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted