1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving E must exceed the min potential

1. Sep 24, 2004 #1
    I've come across Problem 2.2 out of Griffiths' Intro to Quantum book second edition. The problem says to show that E must exceed the minimum value of V(x) for all normalizable solutions to the Schroed. eq. Naturally I started with the normalization condition: int(|phi|^2)=1 and started taking derivatives on this. However, I cannot arrive at a contradiction. Any thoughts? Or any other ways to show the same result? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    hi, emob2p.

I think I would start from the time independent schroedinger equation, [tex]H\phi=E\phi[/tex], where H is the Hamiltonian, [tex]\phi[/tex] the wavefunction. Normally, H=p^2/(2m)+V(x), where p is the momentum operator. First multiply both sides with [tex]\phi^{*}[/tex], then note that p is hermitian (and the [tex]\phi^{*}p^{2}\phi[/tex] term can be made into the square of modulus of a function), and then compare both sides. You may arrive at a contradiction if E is smaller than the minimum of V.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Here's my reasoning. Solve for ψ'' as Griffiths suggests. Now notice that if E<V, then ψ>0 and ψ''>0, or ψ<0 and ψ''<0. From calculus recall that if the second derivative is positive, then you have a local minimum. Therefore as x→∞ so does ψ→∞. In order to be normalizable, ψ must go to 0. So V must be greater than E so that ψ'' and ψ have different signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?