1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving equations are equivalent

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    I need help proving that (A then B) then C and (A and B) then C are equivalent. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are several ways to prove such a thing. The easiest is using truth tables.
    First of all, do you understand intuitively why it is true?

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3
    I know why they are true and I have done the truth table however our teacher wants us to do it by proofs and I can't seem to make sense of the proof. I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate what "by proofs" means. Using truth table is a way of proving that expression is valid.

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5
    By proof I mean using sentintial derivations where you have to use v introduction or elimination. & introduction or & elimination.

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So first let's consider the direct implication and work backwards. Suppose you want to prove X => Y, where X is (A => B) => C and Y is (A & B) => C. What would be your final step and which assumptions and conclusions would you need?

8. Nov 2, 2008 #7
    To prove ( A then B) then C your assumption would be (A and B) then C with your conclusion being (A then B) then C. To prove (A and B) then C your assumption would be (A then B) then C and your conclusion would be (A and B) then C. But I don't know anymore than that. That is the only thing I have been able to figure out so far. I think there might be some sub proofs and some more assumptions but I don't know what.

9. Nov 3, 2008 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just told me that: "to prove X, your assumption would be X with your conclusion being X. To prove Y your assumption would be Y with your conclusion being Y".

Maybe I was a bit too vague, so let me reformulate my question. You want to prove something of the form X => Y, so your final step will likely be =>I (implication introduction). So what do you start with and what do you need to prove, in order to be able to make this step?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?