Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proving F=y^3ma in relativity

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The question I'm given is:

Newton's second law is given by [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \frac{{d\vec p}}{{dt}}[/tex]. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \gamma ^3 m\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over a} [/tex].

Now, how do I get started on this thing?

Also, what I'm really wondering is how this is actually applied. When they say [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \gamma ^3 m\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over a} [/tex]… what gamma is being used? Also, are we looking at the change in momentum from wrt to the K frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] are always parallel, you can remove the arrows, and just work with magnitudes. Write [itex]p[/itex] in terms of [itex]v[/itex], and differentiate using the product rule and the chain rule. After differentiating, find a common denominator

Regards,
    George

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What is the 'v'. Is v the speed of the moving frame?

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]v[/itex] is the speed of the particle with respect to the lab frame, so that [itex]p = \gamma m v[/itex].

Regards,
    George

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook