1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving F=y^3ma in relativity

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The question I'm given is:

Newton's second law is given by [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \frac{{d\vec p}}{{dt}}[/tex]. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \gamma ^3 m\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over a} [/tex].

Now, how do I get started on this thing?

Also, what I'm really wondering is how this is actually applied. When they say [tex] \mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over F} = \gamma ^3 m\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\rightharpoonup$}}
    \over a} [/tex]… what gamma is being used? Also, are we looking at the change in momentum from wrt to the K frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] are always parallel, you can remove the arrows, and just work with magnitudes. Write [itex]p[/itex] in terms of [itex]v[/itex], and differentiate using the product rule and the chain rule. After differentiating, find a common denominator

Regards,
    George

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What is the 'v'. Is v the speed of the moving frame?

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]v[/itex] is the speed of the particle with respect to the lab frame, so that [itex]p = \gamma m v[/itex].

Regards,
    George

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?