1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving factorial equations

Tags:
  1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the template and work shown only in an image
    number 15 questions b and c are giving me a very hard time. I have tried expanding them then factoring out the common terms but somehow not getting it to be proven. detailed help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I don't think factoring is the right answer.
    Are you sure that (b) is written correctly? n choose k is equal to n choose (n-k) normally, so I don't see how the sum could be.

For (c), try writing it out and rearranging.

##\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} + \frac{n!}{(k-1)!(n-(k-1))!}##
    And you want this to be equal to:
    ##\frac{n+1!}{k!((n+1)-k)!}##

**edit** You should try to make a common denominator to add the fractions. If you do this carefully and correctly, the right answer pops right out.

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3
    yes b) is written correctly

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Just to be sure,
    (b) says: Show that n choose k + n choose (k-1) = n choose (n-k) ?
    That is straight wrong.
    n choose k = n choose (n-k). This is clear from the formula factorial representation.
    And n choose k + n choose (k-1) = (n+1) choose k, as in (c).

6. Oct 17, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't read your question (since I don't read attachments), but I assume from what RUber has written that you want to show ##{}_nC_k + {}_nC_{k-1} = {}_nC_{n-k}##. As RUber has indicated, that is wrong. Try it for yourself: set n = 4, k = 2 and see what happens.

The several-century-old Passcal triangle formula says that ##{}_n C _k + {n}C_{k-1} = {}_{n+1} C _k##. Again, post #2# shows you one way you can do it; another way is to start from ##(1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n {}_nC_k x^k##, then write ##(1+x)^{n+1}## in two ways: one way is to use the previous expansion with ##n+1## in place of ##n##, and the other is to write it as ##(1+x) (1+x)^n##, use the expansion for the second factor, then gather together powers of ##x##.

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From the text before and after b) in the attachment, it is very clear to me that b) ought to read "show that nCk=nCn-k."

8. Oct 19, 2015 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

I wonder if @tesha is still working on this.
    If so, then I am sure the correction haruspex suggests will help. That interpretation for (b) will also be reinforced by (d), which looks to be a direct application of that rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted