1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving force

1. Oct 5, 2004 #1
    Two physics students are having a debate about the best way to define a force scale using rubber bands. Each one is trying to convince you to do it their way. They have the following apparatus to use in tests:

A bunch of identical small rubber bands
    10N spring scale
    meter stick

Joe argues that: “It’s so much easier to use one rubber band to define a force scale than many. All I have to do is to stretch the rubber band by 1 cm to get one unit of force, then by 2 cn to get two units of force, and then by 3 cm to get three units of force and so on.”

Larry counters: “We do not know whether or not rubber band are linear. Maybe the force the rubber band exerts at 3 cm is not really three times tan the force it exerts at 1 cm. I think it is absolutely necessary to use many identical looking rubber bands in parallel with each other to define a force.”

How could I design a test using the same apparatus Joe and Larry have to prove who is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2004 #2
    Sounds like homework to me O_O...wrong section.

A hint is to look up Hookes law.

4. Oct 5, 2004 #3
    in the equation F=kx...why doesn't mass come into play?

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why should it? The force is due completely to the rubber band. The rubber band doesn't care if it is pulling a 1 gram mass or a 10000 kg mass- it exerts the same force.

Of course, when you are calculating the acceleration due to that force, THEN mass comes into play.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?