Proving formula for approximation of a plane tangent to Z

In summary, the formula for approximating a plane tangent to Z involves finding the first-order terms in the Taylor expansion of a function f(x,y) at a point (x<sub>0</sub>, y<sub>0</sub>). This represents the best linear approximation of the surface Z at that point and can be used to estimate the behavior of the surface near that point and find local maximum and minimum values. This formula can be used for any differentiable function f(x,y) and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the proximity of the point (x<sub>0</sub>, y<sub>0</sub>) to the point of interest on the surface Z.
CubicFlunky77
I think I've got the basics of forum notation now, thanks to Fredrick from my other thread. Here goes:

Show: [itex]Z = z_0 + a(x-x_0) + b(y-y_0)[/itex] where [itex]a = f_x = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]b = f_y = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/itex]

I'm attempting this using the coordinate method, but how would I prove it generally (for n-dimensions)?

What is the difference between proving it for any function [itex]f(a)[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], or as is typically shown for standard parametric cycloids in terms of [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex]?

So the coordinate proof is fairly straightforward, but there is an assumption at step #4 that I believe I'm showing incorrectly;

What I've done:

#1) If [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \approx \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x-x_0) + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y-y_0)[/itex], then

[itex]f_z \approx f_x\Delta x + f_y\Delta y[/itex]

#2) If we let [itex]L_1 + L_2[/itex] be the sum of the linear systems that constitute a plane approximately tangent to [itex]f(x,y)=Z[/itex]

then [itex]L_1 = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x_0,y_0)[/itex][tex]~~\Rightarrow~~[/tex][tex]\left\{\begin{array}{1}z_0 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x-x_0)\\y=y_0\end{array}\right.[/tex] and [itex]L_2 = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y,y_0)[/itex] [tex]~~\Rightarrow~~[/tex][tex]\left\{\begin{array}{1}z_0 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y-y_0)\\x=x_0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

#3) [itex]Z = L_1 + L_2 = 2z_0 + [\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x-x_0) + \underbrace{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x_0-x_0)}_{= 0}] + [\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y-y_0) + \underbrace{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y_0-y_0)}_{=0}][/itex]
[itex]= 2z_0 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x-x_0) + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y-y_0)[/itex]

#4) Now I've got to show that [itex]z_0=k(z_0)[/itex], where, in this case, [itex]k=2[/itex] but in general it can be anything. This might seem like a dumb question, but is it alright for me to assume that any scalar coefficient times [itex]z_0[/itex] will simply be [itex]z_0[/itex]. In three dimensions it seems to make perfect sense since a scalar (or any magnitude value) in space represents a point that will be the exact same point regardless of its coefficient. But how could I show this formally?

#5 Assuming [itex]z_0=k(z_0)[/itex], the formula is valid.

I'm speculating that for linear approximations in n-dimenions [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] will have varied, yet interrelated scalar subscripts as will the coefficient of [itex]z_0[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am glad that you have a better understanding of forum notation now. I will try my best to answer your questions and provide some insights on how to prove the formula for n-dimensions.

Firstly, to prove the formula for n-dimensions, we need to use the concept of partial derivatives. In simple terms, partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding other variables constant. In your formula, a and b represent the partial derivatives of the function f with respect to x and y, respectively. Therefore, in n-dimensions, we will have n partial derivatives, each with respect to a different variable.

Secondly, the difference between proving it for any function f(a) and \vec{a}, or as typically shown for standard parametric cycloids in terms of \vec{r}(t) is the type of function that we are dealing with. In the first case, we are dealing with a general function f, while in the second case, we are dealing with a specific function that can be expressed parametrically. The method of proving may differ depending on the type of function, but the general concept of using partial derivatives to measure the rate of change remains the same.

Thirdly, in step #4, you have correctly shown that z_0=k(z_0), where k=2 in this case. This is because z_0 is a constant, and any scalar coefficient times z_0 will simply be z_0. This holds true for any scalar in n-dimensions as well. In order to show this formally, you can use the definition of a scalar as a quantity that has magnitude but no direction, and therefore, it will not affect the position of the point in n-dimensions.

Lastly, for linear approximations in n-dimensions, the coefficients of x, y, and z may vary, but they will still be related to the partial derivatives of the function f. This is because the linear approximation is based on the tangent plane to the function at a specific point, and the partial derivatives give us the slope of the tangent plane in each direction.

I hope this helps in your understanding. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in exploring forum notation!

1. What is the formula for approximating a plane tangent to Z?

The formula for approximating a plane tangent to Z is:
z = f(x,y) + fx(x0, y0)(x-x0) + fy(x0, y0)(y-y0)
where (x0, y0) is the point on the surface Z and fx and fy are the partial derivatives of f(x,y).

2. How is the formula derived?

The formula for approximating a plane tangent to Z is derived from the Taylor expansion of a function f(x,y) at a point (x0, y0). This expansion is used to approximate the behavior of the function near the point (x0, y0), and the first-order terms represent the tangent plane at that point.

3. What is the significance of the tangent plane to Z?

The tangent plane to Z at a point (x0, y0) represents the best linear approximation of the surface Z at that point. It can be used to estimate the behavior of the surface near that point and is also useful in finding the local maximum and minimum values of the surface.

4. Can the formula be used for any function f(x,y)?

Yes, the formula for approximating a plane tangent to Z can be used for any function f(x,y) as long as the function is differentiable at the point (x0, y0). This means that the function must have partial derivatives fx and fy at that point.

5. How accurate is the approximation using this formula?

The accuracy of the approximation using this formula depends on how close the point (x0, y0) is to the point of interest on the surface Z. The closer the point is, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, if the point is too far from the point of interest, the approximation may not be very accurate.