1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving function Converges

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I prove the function ((2^x)-1)sin(y))/(xy) converges to ln(2) in the case of x=0 and y=0..?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out where to start honestly... I know i'm not suppose to post unless I have a real attempt at the solution.. I could BS something but anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Squeeze Theorem? Is there some key property I should be aware of?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you think the answer is ##\ln 2##? Try some special limits to get a feel for it. What if ##y\rightarrow 0## before ##x##, for example.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    the answer is ln(2), the question says that, we just have to PROVE it is.

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4
    Yes, the answer is indeed ln(2) I used mclaurin series to prove it.

6. Oct 10, 2013 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your function is a function of x only times a function of y only:
    [tex]
    \frac{(2^x - 1)\sin y}{xy} = \frac{2^x - 1}{x} \frac{\sin y}{y}
    [/tex]

One can show that if [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{y \to 0} g(y)[/itex] exist then
    [tex]
    \lim_{(x,y) \to 0} f(x)g(y) = \left(\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) \right)\left( \lim_{y \to 0} g(y) \right)
    [/tex]

Also remember that
    [tex]
    \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{f(x) - f(0)}x = f'(0)
    [/tex]
    assuming the limit exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted