1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving groups isomorphic

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let H be the subgroup of [tex]GL(3, \mathbb{Z}_3)[/tex] consisting of all matrices of the form [tex]\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ a & 1 & 0 \\ b & c & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex], where [tex]a,b,c \in \mathbb{Z}_3[/tex]. I have to prove that Z(H) is isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/tex] and that [tex]H/Z(H)[/tex] is isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3 \times \mathbb{Z}_3[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not sure how to begin with this. I started by taking two arbitrary matrices h and k from H and doing hk = kh to see what a matrix in Z(H) would have to look like, but I didn't really get anywhere with that. My initial instinct would be to just define a mapping from Z(H) to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/tex], but I'm not sure how to do that, since I can't figure out what's in Z(H). Is there a better way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

rsg

These groups are known in literature as Heisenberg group over a finite field. It is generally written in the upper triangular matrix form. But that does not make any difference.
    So let me define a typical element of this field as [tex]A=\langle a,b,c\rangle[/tex] where a, b, c have the same meaning and order as you have written in the definition of the group. Let [tex]C=\langle x,y,z\rangle\in Z(H)[/tex]. Calculate [tex] AC[/tex] and [tex] CA [/tex], and equate them....

Edited by Hurkyl: please don't give complete solutions to problems....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook