1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Heat exchanger equations

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    For a double-pipe heat exchanger operating with countercurrent flow, the operating equation is:

S = (1 - exp X)/ (R - exp X) X = ((U*A)/(Ma*Ca)) (1-R)

where R and S are defined by:

R = (Ma*Ca)/( Mb*Cb) = (Tb2 - Tb1)/(Ta1 - Ta2)

S = (Ta1 - Ta2)/(Ta1- Tb1)

(i) Show how there is a potential problem using the above equation if the value of R is equal to 1.

The potential problem with the equation for S can be solved using an appropriate substitution. For small values, the exponential can be written as: exp(cy)≈ 1+ cy

(ii) Use the substitution

y=1-R

to show that as the value of R approaches 1, the exponential disappears and the operating equation reduces to a simplified function of (UA/MC).

Attemped solution:

(i) For R to = 1

R = (Ma*Ca)/( Mb*Cb) = (Tb2 - Tb1)/(Ta1 - Ta2) = 1

This would mean that (Tb2 - Tb1) and (Ta1 - Ta2) were the same, say Tb2=30 Tb1=10 Ta1=40 and Ta2=20

For the value of S however because Ta1 is used twice, S would equal 2/3

But when R= 1 in the operating equation S must also equal 1.

(ii) exp(cy)≈ 1+ cy

y=1-R, as R approaches 1 y approaches 0.
    when y becomes 0 cy becomes 0 meaning that exp(cy)≈1

when exp (cy) is 1, X=0 in the operating equation when X = 0, (UA/MaCa) or (1-R) must equal zero. From the previous equation we know that it is 1-R that equals 0 leaving us with the simplified (UA/MaCa)

Can someone please tell me if my methods and answers are correct?
    Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted