Finding Homeomorphisms: How Do I Prove Two Spaces Are Homeomorphic?

• Thread starter SpaceTag
  • Start date
In summary, proving that two spaces are homeomorphic can be a difficult problem, but specific instances can be easier. To make it more tractible, one can apply general problem solving skills and examine special cases. In the case of convex open non-empty subsets of R^n, one approach could be to show that the "effective radius" of the region is continuous as a function of the angle to which it corresponds. However, proving this result in its full generality may be challenging.
SpaceTag
I'm having difficulty in proving that two spaces are homeomorphic; I understand the definition and such, but working out the details is not coming easy. For instance, our teacher asked us to prove that all convex open non-empty subsets of R^n are homeomorphic to R^n. How does one go about defining a both-ways continuous bijection in such broad terms? It just seems intractible to me, how can I make these types of problems more tractible?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpaceTag said:
I'm having difficulty in proving that two spaces are homeomorphic; I understand the definition and such, but working out the details is not coming easy.
I believe that, in general, showing two spaces are or are not homeomorphic is a very difficult problem. Of course, specific instances can be easy.

It just seems intractible to me, how can I make these types of problems more tractible?
Applying general problem solving skills -- for example, examine special cases to see if they inspire any ideas.

Okay well, to start I figured I could just play around with the R^2 case.

For an open disk of radius r in R^2 (translated so its center is at the origin) I found that a both-ways continuous bijection from the disk to R^2 is

f(x,y) = (x,y) / (r-|(x,y)|)

Now to generalize a bit, I could try doing the case where the convex region in R^2 is bounded but not necessarily a disk. First I could translate the convex region so that an interior point is at the origin; now for each ray extending outward from the origin, there is an "effective" radius of the region which is the distance from the origin to the boundary of the convex region along that ray.

If I could prove that the "effective" radius is continuous as a function of the angle of the corresponding ray then I could get somewhere. Is it true that, for an open bounded convex surface, the "effective radius" as described before is continuous as a function of the angle to which it corresponds? My gut tells me yes but I'm having a hard time proving it.

Anyway I really appreciate your help. Am I heading in the right direction on this problem? I
may not be able to prove the result in its full generality but it would be nice to at least make some progress!

SpaceTag said:
Am I heading in the right direction on this problem?
It's the same idea I had, so I hope so. :smile:

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that establishes a relationship between two topological spaces. It is a continuous and bijective function, meaning that it is one-to-one and onto, and preserves the topological properties of the spaces.

2. How do you prove that two spaces are homeomorphic?

To prove that two spaces are homeomorphic, you need to show that there exists a continuous and bijective function between them. This can be done by constructing a map between the two spaces and showing that it satisfies the properties of a homeomorphism.

3. What are the necessary conditions for a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism must be a continuous and bijective function, meaning that it is one-to-one and onto. It must also preserve the topological properties of the spaces, such as connectivity and compactness.

4. Can a homeomorphism exist between spaces of different dimensions?

Yes, a homeomorphism can exist between spaces of different dimensions. For example, a line and a circle are homeomorphic, even though one is one-dimensional and the other is two-dimensional. This is because their topological properties are preserved by a continuous and bijective function.

5. Why are homeomorphisms important in mathematics?

Homeomorphisms are important in mathematics because they allow us to identify and understand the underlying structure of different topological spaces. They also help us to solve problems in various fields, such as geometry, topology, and physics.