Proving Identities: trig.

In summary, the author is attempting to solve the same problem as another thread, but with different steps.
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-8-17_0-18-41.png

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I literally just posted this in the thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/proving-identities.881951/
But since it was marked solved I doubt anyone will see it. So sorry in advance for making a new thread on the same question.

Ok, I am proving the exact same identity as the thread mentioned above, I looked through it and the explanations were very helpful.

I have written out the answer, and would just like to know if I have written it properly as the answers in the thread were a bit jumbled, so I just want to make sure I am following correctly.

upload_2016-8-17_0-26-12.png

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evangeline101 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 104802

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I literally just posted this in the thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/proving-identities.881951/
But since it was marked solved I doubt anyone will see it. So sorry in advance for making a new thread on the same question.

Ok, I am proving the exact same identity as the thread mentioned above, I looked through it and the explanations were very helpful.

I have written out the answer, and would just like to know if I have written it properly as the answers in the thread were a bit jumbled, so I just want to make sure I am following correctly.

View attachment 104803

Thanks.

You're attempting these on your own before looking at threads and solutions right?

The steps are fine, except you should show the factoring step, or just provide an explanation that it was done.

Student100 said:
The steps are fine, except you should show the factoring step.

Okay :)

Student100 said:
You're attempting these on your own before looking at threads and solutions right?

And yes, I always attempt a question before I go looking for answers, if I don't I won't understand any of the solutions provided.

Evangeline101 said:
Okay :)
And yes, I always attempt a question before I go looking for answers, if I don't I won't understand any of the solutions provided.

Okay just making sure, don't rob yourself of the joy of solving problems. =)

Student100 said:
Okay just making sure, don't rob yourself of the joy of solving problems. =)

Don't worry I won't :wink:

Anyway, thanks for verifying!

1. What is the process for proving trigonometric identities?

The process for proving trigonometric identities involves manipulating and simplifying one side of the equation until it is equivalent to the other side. This may involve using trigonometric identities, algebraic manipulation, and other mathematical techniques.

2. How do I know which trigonometric identities to use when proving an equation?

It is important to have a strong understanding of the basic trigonometric identities and their variations. This will help guide you in choosing the most appropriate identity to use based on the given equation.

3. Are there any tips or tricks for proving trigonometric identities?

One helpful tip is to start by simplifying the more complicated side of the equation first. It can also be helpful to break down complicated expressions into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving trigonometric identities?

One common mistake is to only manipulate one side of the equation, instead of both sides. It is also important to keep track of any restrictions on the values of the variables to ensure that the equation remains valid.

5. Is it necessary to memorize all trigonometric identities?

While it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic identities, it is not necessary to memorize all of them. Having a solid understanding of how to derive identities and being familiar with common variations is more important than rote memorization.