Proving (n-1)th Degree Polynomial Representation of n Points

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of proving that, given a certain number of points, it only takes a maximum of an (n-1)th degree polynomial to represent them all. The conversation mentions using Lagrange Interpolation Method to solve this problem and discusses the concept of linearly independent equations formed by substituting in the points. The existence of a degree n-1 polynomial passing through n points in the plane is also mentioned.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's say I wanted to prove that, given n points, it takes a maximum of a (n-1)th degree polynomial to represent them all. How would I do it? My instinct is to just say because you need a max of (n-1) max/mins ...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what does represent mean in this context? and are you sure you mean "maximum"

what degree one polynimial "represents" the two points 0 and 1. and point in what space? R, R^2, R^3...?

I mean that, given 1 point that your equation must touch, you need a 0th degree equation. Given 2 you need a 1st, etc...

For example, if you are given a set of points with 2 elements:
(a,b), (c,d)
You need a 1st degree equation, or line.
y = mx + e
The correct value of m and e will hit both points.

Similarly, if you have 3 points, you need a quadratic.

In that case, given n points in the plane with distinct x coords, there exists a degree n-1 polynomial passing through them, since a degree n-1 poly has n coefficients and therefore you have a system of n linearly independent equations in n unknowns to solve.

you don't mean maximum at all since given n points then there is a polynomial of degree r=>n-1 passing through those points (again with distinct x values) which is unique when r=n-1.

Alkatran,
If u go through Lagrange Interpolation method, u would see how lagrange came up with an extremely simple way to do it!

TenaliRaman said:
Alkatran,
If u go through Lagrange Interpolation method, u would see how lagrange came up with an extremely simple way to do it!

I'm aware of how to solve the problem. My question was how do I prove that I will never need a 5th degree equation for 5 points?

Lagrange Interpolation Method works for any given n points.
Hence Proved!

The proof that the equations formed by substituting in the n points are linearly independent is called the vandermonde determinant.

1. What is the significance of proving (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points?

The (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science. It is used to describe the relationship between a set of n points in a coordinate system and can be applied to various fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science. Proving this representation ensures the accuracy and validity of mathematical models and predictions based on the given points.

2. How is the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points calculated?

The (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points is calculated using a mathematical technique called interpolation. This involves finding a polynomial function that passes through all n points and has a degree of (n-1). The specific method used for interpolation may vary depending on the type of points and the desired degree of precision.

3. Can the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points be proved for any set of points?

Yes, the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points can be proved for any set of points as long as they are distinct and have different values for the x-coordinate. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and precision of the representation may vary depending on the distribution and arrangement of the points.

4. What is the role of the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points in data analysis?

The (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points is commonly used in data analysis to create a curve or line of best fit that represents the relationship between the given data points. This allows for the prediction and analysis of values that are not included in the original set of points. It is also used to identify any patterns or trends in the data.

5. Can the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points be used to prove the existence of a relationship between the points?

No, the (n-1)th degree polynomial representation of n points alone cannot prove the existence of a relationship between the points. It can only show the existence of a polynomial function that passes through the points. Other evidence and analysis may be needed to establish a relationship between the points, such as examining the context and characteristics of the data.