1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Inequalities

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    I never have much luck when something says "prove something <= something else". I usually just fiddle around and occasionally get lucky and reduce it to a constant < an express I know can't be less than that constant. But most times I can't reduce it to something like that. Is there any kind of "principled" approach that someone can suggest/ point me to read about?

As an example, say it was something like
    [tex]ln(1+a) \leq a^2 b[/tex]

How would you approach something like this?

Thanks,

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    You can, in general, use any number of arguments to show something like that.

For the natural log one, just raise e to both sides. Then you get

1 + a = exp(b*a^2)

Then you can write

1 = exp(b*a^2) - a.

I don't know... then just pull out an exponential term and get

1 = exp(b*a^2)(1 - a*exp(-b*a^2)) and argue that, as either A or b grow without bound, the right hand simplifies to exp(b*a^2) and the left remains constant. And for a, b both positive, this is clearly true.

I mean, it's just algebra, some logic, and knowing what you're trying to show. Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook