Proving Isomorphism of Skew-Symmetric Matrices to 3D Vectors

• Thread starter Dollydaggerxo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of isomorphism between three skew-symmetric matrices with a defined operation and the usual vectors in 3d space with the cross product operation. The matrices can be written as a linear combination of basis matrices and the conversation also touches on the importance of the defined operation as it relates to the Lie Bracket on a matrix algebra.
Dollydaggerxo

Homework Statement

Hello, I have been asked to prove that three different matrices which are skew-symmetric with a defined operation can be shown to be isomorphic to the usual vectors in 3d space with the operation of the cross product.

Homework Equations

Well the operation i guess is not so important to state as I have constructed a multiplication table for it but it is X*Y = XY-YX.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the cross product for a x b would be a2b3 - a3b2 etc etc and i can see in my head why it is isomorphic I just really do not know how to go about proving it. what should be vectors be, should they all be the same at just i,j,k? i don't know how to prove it without using numbers as the vectors.
please help

Physics news on Phys.org

also how can i write a skew-symmetric matrix as a linear combination of I J and K?
please help thanks

If, by "I, J, and K" you mean the 3-d basis vectors, you can't- matrices are not vectors. But you can write such a matrix as a linear combination of three basis matrices that the isomorphism maps into [itex]\vec{i}[/itex], [itex]\vec{j}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{k}[/itex].

Any 3 by 3 skew-symmetric matrix is of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & a & b \\ -a & 0 & c \\ -b & -c & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= a\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ -1 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ c\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

thanks so muchhh i think i know what I am doing now! can't believe never knew that way of writing skew-symmetric matrices

actually, that operation IS important, it is the typical way of defining a Lie Bracket on a matrix algebra:

[X,Y] = XY - YX

by identifying R^3 with a certain subset of the matrix algebra, you have shown that the cross product can be used to identify R^3 as a subalgebra of the Lie Algebra M3(R).

What is the definition of isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two structures. In the context of skew-symmetric matrices and 3D vectors, isomorphism means that there is a unique mapping between the two sets of objects.

Why is it important to prove isomorphism between skew-symmetric matrices and 3D vectors?

Proving isomorphism between these two sets of objects allows us to use the properties and operations of one set to solve problems and make calculations related to the other set. This can simplify and streamline mathematical processes and lead to more efficient and accurate results.

What is the process for proving isomorphism between skew-symmetric matrices and 3D vectors?

The process involves showing that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, as well as demonstrating that the operations and properties of one set can be applied to the other set in a consistent and accurate manner.

Can isomorphism between skew-symmetric matrices and 3D vectors be proven using a specific example?

Yes, a specific example can be used to illustrate the isomorphism between these two sets. For instance, we can show how a skew-symmetric matrix representing a cross product in 3D space can be converted into a 3D vector using the properties of isomorphism.

What are some practical applications of proving isomorphism between skew-symmetric matrices and 3D vectors?

Proving isomorphism between these two sets has various applications in fields such as physics, computer graphics, and engineering. It allows for more efficient and accurate calculations and can be used in the development of algorithms and models for real-world problems.