1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Jordan-Holder theorem

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that [itex]N \triangleleft G[/itex]. Show that given normal series [itex]S[/itex] for [itex]N[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] for [itex]G / N[/itex] one can construct a normal series [itex]U[/itex] for [itex]G[/itex] such that the first part of [itex]U[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S[/itex] and the rest is isomorphic to [itex]T[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

This is from the last couple of weeks of an undergraduate Abstract Algebra course. The teacher assigned it as homework while discussing a proof of the Jordan-Holder theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'd like to simply construct [itex]U[/itex] from [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex]. Using [itex]S[/itex] would be straightforward as this is already a normal series from [itex]\left\{ e \right\}[/itex] to [itex]N[/itex]. However, I'd hoped to use correspondence theorem to map the normal series [itex]T[/itex] to a normal series from [itex]N[/itex] to [itex]G[/itex]. I believe, however that there is a problem with the part where it says this part of the series should be isomorphic to [itex]T[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does it mean to say that two normal series are isomorphic?

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    I guess that was the part I was confused about as well. My roommate now informs me that we defined two normal series to be isomorphic as follows:

Series [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] are isomorphic if there exists a bijection from the factors of [itex]S[/itex] to the factors of [itex]T[/itex] such that the corresponding factors are isomorphic.

So, that makes a bit more sense to me now.

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Typically that's referred to as "equivalence", but anyway, your idea does work, i.e. it will produce an equivalent normal series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook