1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving l^{\infty} (sequence space w/infinity norm) is not separable, and dual spaces

1. Jan 27, 2006 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

I would like to prove that [itex] \ell^{\infty}[/itex], namely the Banach space whose elements are sequences of complex numbers that have a fininte infinity-norm (a.k.a. the supremum-norm,) that is for [itex]\alpha = \left\{ \alpha_k \right\}_{k=1}^{\infty},[/tex]

[tex] \ell^{\infty}=\left\{\alpha : \sup\left\{ \left| \alpha_n \right| : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}<\infty \right\}, [/tex] normed by [tex]\| \alpha\|_{\infty}=\sup\left\{ \left| \alpha_n \right| : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}[/tex]

is not separable, that is that it does not possess a countable dense basis. I do not well understand what it means for a space to be separable :confused: : does it mean that any element (e.g. any sequence, vector, function, ...) of that space can be expressed as either a linear combination of the elements (say, functions) of some countable (basis?) set or a limit thereof?

Would someone please clearly explain this topic that I might more fully understand it, and, perhaps, the concept of dual spaces: specifically, why is [itex] \ell^{\infty}=(\ell^{1})^*[/itex]? where X* denotes the dual space of X and where [itex] \ell^{1}[/itex] is the Banach space of sequences of complex numbers defined by

[tex] \ell^{1}=\left\{\alpha : \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left| \alpha_k \right| <\infty \right\}, [/tex] normed by [tex]\| \alpha\|_{1}=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left| \alpha_k \right|[/tex]

And, why, despite this relationship, is [itex] (\ell^{\infty})^*=(\ell^{1})^{**}\neq \ell^{1}[/itex]? I realize that I have asked alot, but I would rather that sufficient information be put forth that I could join-in the discussion.

Thanks,
    --Ben

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me do the second one first, and get it out the way.

l^infinity is the dual space of l^1 'becuase it is'. you can work out what the linear functionals on l^1 are and they are precisely the space of bounded sequences.

the reflexive property fails 'because it does', ie you can find a linear functional on l^infinity that is not in l^1, obviously l^1 is contained in the dual space of l^infinity but it is not all of it.

you should try to prove these things to your self. but do not try to work out what the dual space of l^infinity actually is, because it will give you a headache.

4. Jan 27, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

I'm a little confused...

Regarding functionals on the dual space of a Banach space, I'm a little confused... :redface:

So let X be a Banach space, a functional on X is a mapping of vectors in X to complex numbers (or whatever the scalar field is,) correct? Then a functional on X* is what? a vector in X that maps functionals in X* to complex numbers?

5. Jan 27, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

add in the word linear and yes

why don't you put X* in the sentence above, since that is its definition?

Incidentally there is an existential proof that the double dual of l^1 is not l^1.

Thm: Let X be a banach space, then if X^* is separable so is X.

Cor. l^infinity dual is not l^1.

Proof of cor: if l^infinity dual were l^1(which is separable) then applying the theorem l^infinity would be separable, but we know it isn't.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?