1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving limit doesn't exist

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Limit problem.png
    I have to show that the following function does not have a limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried taking different paths for example y=x or y=0 and switching to polar coordinates, but I don't get anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Consider approaching the origin along the line [itex]x = 0[/itex].

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Right so the first term cancels and I am left with: y sin ( 1/ y2 ) + sin ( 1 / y2 ) .
    So what do I conclude by taking the limit of this?
    y sin ( 1/ y2 ) vanishes since y goes to 0. I am a bit confused on what to do with sin ( 1/y2).
    Can I claim that limit doesn't exist because sin ( 1/ y2 ) alternates as y goes to zero and therefore doesn't have unique answer ?

5. May 28, 2015 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

How would you justify that rigorously?

6. May 28, 2015 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You can explain the dense oscillations near the origin by recalling ##\text{sin}(y) = 0## for ##y = n \pi, n \in \mathbb{Z}##.

So ##\text{sin} \left( \frac{1}{y} \right) = 0## for ##y = \frac{1}{n \pi}, n \in \mathbb{Z}, n \neq 0##.

Therefore we can say ##\text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right) = 0## for ##y = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n \pi}}, n \in \mathbb{Z}, n \neq 0##.

There is a dense population of these points near zero; think about the interval ##(0, \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}]##.

As for showing it formally, you're going to have to squeeze some effort out, and you might need a sandwich to have enough energy.

7. May 28, 2015 #6
    Would it be okay to take sequence an = √2/√nπ . Then this sequence obviously converges to zero as n goes to infinity. But f(an) alternates between 1,0,-1,0,...

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. May 28, 2015 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

There is infinitely many points approaching zero:

$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{5 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{6 \pi}}, ...$$

Group these into triplets:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}} \right), \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{5 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{6 \pi}} \right), ...$$

Notice for each triplet of points inside ##(0, \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}]##, the function ##\text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right)## will oscillate from ##0## to ##-1##, then to ##0##, then to ##+1## and then back to ##0##.

The triplets need not be ordered as I've shown. You can group different triplets and the function will oscillate in the same fashion, but potentially in a different order. For example, using:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}} \right)$$

Will produce a different sequence for the oscillation (0,1,0,-1,0), but the behavior will be the same for each triplet. Namely, ##\left| \text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right) \right| \leq 1##.

9. May 29, 2015 #8
    Simply speaking, we choose epsilon=0.9, we cannot get a corresponding delta to satisfy the epsilon-delta definition of limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted