1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Limit Laws

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [tex]\lim_{x->a}[f(x)+g(x)]=\lim_{x->a}[f(x)]+\lim_{x->a}[g(x)][/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon/delta definition

3. The attempt at a solution

The book says:

Let the limit of f(x)=L and the limit of g(x)=M. Then,

[tex]\mid f(x)-L \mid<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] whenever [tex]0<\mid x-a \mid<\delta_{1}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\mid g(x)-M \mid<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] whenever [tex]0<\mid x-a \mid<\delta_{2}[/tex]

Let [tex] \delta=min \big\{ \delta_{1} ,\delta_{2} \big\}[/tex] and suppose [tex]0<\mid x-a \mid<\delta[/tex]. Because [tex]\delta\leq\delta_{1}[/tex], it follows that [tex]0<|x-a|\delta_{1}[/tex] and [tex]|f(x)-L<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex].

Similarly, [tex]\delta\leq\delta_{2}[/tex], it follows that [tex]0<|x-a|\delta_{2}[/tex] and [tex]|g(x)-L<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]. Therefore,

[tex]|[f(x)+g(x)]-(L+M)|<\epsilon[/tex], which implies that [tex]]\lim_{x->a}[f(x)+g(x)]=L+M=\lim_{x->a}[f(x)]+\lim_{x->a}[g(x)][/tex]

My biggest question is from where they obtained a value of epsilon/2 from. I feel that I cannot even begin to understand the proof until I understand that point.

Edit: The latex didn't come out as clearly as I'd hoped, so here is a picture: http://s9.postimg.org/7gfz3owul/Proof.gif

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read the first sentence after SOLUTION in the picture: "Assume that ε > 0 is given " You can require that both functions deviate from their limit less than half of the given ε.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    Yes, I saw that, but I also could have defined it as < ε/3 or 2piε/4. What is the significance of making it ε/2? I looked at a proof for the product limit laws and saw a similar technique employed.

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to find δ so as the deviation of the combined function f(x)+g(x) from its limit is less than ε. The simplest is to choose equal ε1 and ε2 for the functions f and g, so as ε1+ε2 = ε. But you have the freedom to choose ε/3 for one function and 2/3 ε for the other one, or anything else if they are positive and their sum is ε.

6. Jan 14, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It really does not matter. For any (small) ##\epsilon' > 0## we can find ##\delta > 0## such that ##|f(x)-L| < 3 \epsilon'## and ##|g(x) -M |< 2 \pi \epsilon'## for ##|x - a| < \delta##. Then we have
    [tex] |f(x) + g(x) - (L+M)| < (3 + 2 \pi) \epsilon'[/tex]
    for ##|x-a| < \delta##. Now just put ##\epsilon = (3 + 2 \pi) \epsilon'##. Given any (small) ##\epsilon > 0## we can thus find ##\delta > 0## such that ##|f(x) + g(x) - (L+M)| < \epsilon## if ##|x-a| < \delta##. We do that by putting ##\epsilon' = \epsilon/(3 + 2 \pi)## and using the ##\delta## that goes along with ##\epsilon'##. It is just a lot neater to put ##\epsilon' = \epsilon/2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted