Proving ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
In summary, the proof shows that for every x>=0, ln(1+x)>=(x-x^2/2) by showing that f(x), defined as ln(1+x) + x^2/2 - x, is always positive for x>=0.
peripatein
Hello,

Homework Statement

I was asked to prove that for every x>=0, ln(1+x)>=(x-x^2/2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined f(x) thus: f(x) = ln(1+x) + x^2/2 - x and found f'(x)=x^2/(1+x). I hence wrote that since f'(x) is always non-negative for every x>=0 (since x^2>=0 in that domain) f(x) is likewise always positive.
Does that suffice?

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

I was asked to prove that for every x>=0, ln(1+x)>=(x-x^2/2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined f(x) thus: f(x) = ln(1+x) + x^2/2 - x and found f'(x)=x^2/(1+x). I hence wrote that since f'(x) is always non-negative for every x>=0 (since x^2>=0 in that domain) f(x) is likewise always positive.
Does that suffice?

Pretty much. You'll want to add a comment that f(0) is non-negative as well.

1. What is the purpose of proving ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2?

The purpose of proving ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 is to show that the natural logarithm function ln(x) is an increasing function for all values of x greater than or equal to 1. This inequality is a fundamental property of ln(x) and is used in many mathematical proofs and calculations.

2. How do you prove ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2?

To prove ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2, we can use the properties of logarithms and basic algebraic manipulations. First, we can rewrite ln(1+x) as ln((1+x)^1) and use the power rule of logarithms to rewrite it as (1)ln(1+x). Then, we can use the fact that ln(1) = 0 and the monotonicity property of ln(x) to show that ln(1+x)>=0. Finally, we can use the Taylor series expansion for ln(1+x) and simplify it to obtain the desired inequality.

3. Why is it important to prove ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2?

Proving ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 is important because it is a key property of the natural logarithm function that is used in many mathematical applications. It allows us to simplify calculations and proofs involving ln(x) and provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of this function.

4. Can you provide an example where ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 is used?

One example where ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 is used is in the proof of the integral test for convergence of series. In this proof, we use the inequality to show that the series in question converges or diverges by comparing it to a simpler series involving ln(x).

5. Is ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 always true?

Yes, ln(1+x)>=x - x^2/2 is always true for all values of x greater than or equal to 1. This is a fundamental property of the natural logarithm function and can be proven using mathematical techniques such as calculus and algebra.