1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving local minimum

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    Suppose that c1 < c2 and that f takes on local maxima at c1 and c2. Prove that if f is continuous on [c1, c2], then there is at least one c in (c1, c2) at which f takes on a local minimum.

This question seems common sense, but does anyone know how to actually prove this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: Sketch the graph of f ' (x). Since f ' ' (c1) < 0 and f ' ' (c2) < 0 the graph must decrease as you move away from x = c1 and toward x = c2. Likewise, the graph must increase as you move away from x = c2 and toward x = c1. Therefore, f ' (x) must pass from a positive value to a negative value somewhere in (c1, c2).

4. Nov 24, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget that f might not be differentiable... though looking at derivatives might jump start your understanding of the problem.

Trap: do you know anything, in general, about the minima of continuous functions on closed intervals?

5. Nov 24, 2004 #4
    thanks everyone for the responds.

I do not know about the minima of continuous functions on closed intervals, can u provide an answer to this? thanks :smile:

6. Nov 24, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any continuous function on a compact set (such as a closed interval [a, b]) has a global minimum and maximum.

So, for your problem, it would suffice to prove that a and b can't be the (only) global minimum.

I don't know if you've had this theorem yet, though.

7. Nov 24, 2004 #6
    m....I haven't learnt about global min/max theorems, but thanks anyways for your help and explainations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?