1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving No Solution in Extension Field

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]\beta=\omega\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex], where [itex]\omega=e^{2\pi i/3}[/itex], and let [itex]K=\mathbb{Q}(\beta)[/itex]. Prove that the equation [itex]x^{2}_{1}+\cdots+x^{2}_{k}=-1[/itex] has no solution with [itex]x_{i}[/itex] in [itex]K[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The irreducible polynomial f is the monic polynomial of lowest degree in F[x} that has an element [itex]\alpha[/itex] of K as a root.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first idea is to move the one over and then view f(x)+1 as a polynomial in F[x]. Then, I want to show that there is no element in K which is a root to this polynomial... I believe this would show that there is no solution to the above equation with [itex]x_{i}[/itex] in [itex]K[/itex]. However, I'm not sure how to show this for an arbitrary element of K and if this is even the right approach. I was also wondering if it had to do with the fact that [itex]\beta[/itex] contains a cube root, which would mean we would need at least a degree 3 polynomial with coefficients in the rationals... We only have a degree 2.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted