Proving No Solution in Extension Field

In summary, to prove that the equation x^{2}_{1}+\cdots+x^{2}_{k}=-1 has no solution with x_{i} in K, we can use the fact that the irreducible polynomial f of \beta over \mathbb{Q} has degree 3 and consider the polynomial f(x)+1. If we assume that there exists an element in K that is a root of f(x)+1, we can write it as a polynomial in \beta of degree at most 2. But, since f(x)+1 has degree 3, this is a contradiction, and therefore there is no solution to the equation with x_i in K.
Szichedelic

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\beta=\omega\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex], where [itex]\omega=e^{2\pi i/3}[/itex], and let [itex]K=\mathbb{Q}(\beta)[/itex]. Prove that the equation [itex]x^{2}_{1}+\cdots+x^{2}_{k}=-1[/itex] has no solution with [itex]x_{i}[/itex] in [itex]K[/itex].

Homework Equations

The irreducible polynomial f is the monic polynomial of lowest degree in F[x} that has an element [itex]\alpha[/itex] of K as a root.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first idea is to move the one over and then view f(x)+1 as a polynomial in F[x]. Then, I want to show that there is no element in K which is a root to this polynomial... I believe this would show that there is no solution to the above equation with [itex]x_{i}[/itex] in [itex]K[/itex]. However, I'm not sure how to show this for an arbitrary element of K and if this is even the right approach. I was also wondering if it had to do with the fact that [itex]\beta[/itex] contains a cube root, which would mean we would need at least a degree 3 polynomial with coefficients in the rationals... We only have a degree 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is on the right track. To prove that there is no solution to the equation with x_i in K, you can use the fact that the irreducible polynomial f of \beta over \mathbb{Q} has degree 3. This means that any element in K can be written as a polynomial in \beta of degree at most 2. So, if we consider the polynomial f(x)+1, we can write it as a polynomial in \beta of degree at most 2. Now, if we assume that there exists an element in K that is a root of f(x)+1, then this would mean that we can write this element as a polynomial in \beta of degree at most 2. But, since f(x)+1 has degree 3, this is a contradiction. Therefore, there is no element in K that is a root of f(x)+1, and hence there is no solution to the equation with x_i in K.

1. What is an extension field?

An extension field is a field that contains all elements of a smaller field, as well as additional elements that are not part of the smaller field. These additional elements are usually solutions to polynomial equations with coefficients in the smaller field.

2. Why is proving no solution in extension field important?

Proving no solution in extension field is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of fields. It also allows us to determine whether certain polynomial equations can be solved using the elements in the field.

3. How is no solution in extension field proven?

No solution in extension field can be proven using various methods such as the degree argument, Galois theory, and field extensions. These methods involve showing that a polynomial equation has no roots in the given field.

4. What are some applications of proving no solution in extension field?

Proving no solution in extension field has various applications in algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It also has practical applications in designing coding systems and error-correcting codes.

5. Can a polynomial equation have solutions in one extension field but not in another?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have solutions in one extension field but not in another. This is because the structure and elements of each extension field can vary, and a polynomial equation that has no solutions in one field may have solutions in another.