Proving on nested intervals

Main Question or Discussion Point

If I_n = (0, 1/n) where n is any natural no. is a sequence of nested intervals, then the intersection of all the I_n is empty.

I was able to get the proof similar as that of above problem but the I_n is closed, that is, I_n = [0, 1/n]... and further, the intersection of all the I_n is {0}.

What I am trying to do is to prove by contradiction because it is the easiest way to prove it. How do I construct this?

Answers and Replies

lurflurf
Homework Helper
irony of truth said:
If I_n = (0, 1/n) where n is any natural no. is a sequence of nested intervals, then the intersection of all the I_n is empty.

I was able to get the proof similar as that of above problem but the I_n is closed, that is, I_n = [0, 1/n]... and further, the intersection of all the I_n is {0}.

What I am trying to do is to prove by contradiction because it is the easiest way to prove it. How do I construct this?
let x be in the intersection
0<x
x<1/n all natural numbers n -> x=<0
x=<0 & x>0 -><-

lurflurf,

I apologize for asking this... I will "repeat" what you mentioned because I am a bit "slow"...

If I were to prove it by contradiction, will I assume that x is the intersection...?
Then, from the nested interval property (is it?), 0 < x < 1/n for all natural no. n.

From here on...you mentioned that "-> x=<0
x=<0 & x>0 -> <-".... do you mind if you can explain to me?

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
by the definitions of the real numbers there is no real number that is strictly positive and less than 1/n for all n, that's all.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
More "primitively", if x is any positive real number then 1/x exists and is a positive real number. By the "Archimedean property", there exist an integer n> 1/x so 1/n< x.