Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving on nested intervals

1. Aug 4, 2005 #1
    If I_n = (0, 1/n) where n is any natural no. is a sequence of nested intervals, then the intersection of all the I_n is empty.

I was able to get the proof similar as that of above problem but the I_n is closed, that is, I_n = [0, 1/n]... and further, the intersection of all the I_n is {0}.

What I am trying to do is to prove by contradiction because it is the easiest way to prove it. How do I construct this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2005 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

let x be in the intersection
    0<x
    x<1/n all natural numbers n -> x=<0
    x=<0 & x>0 -><-

4. Aug 4, 2005 #3
    lurflurf,

I apologize for asking this... I will "repeat" what you mentioned because I am a bit "slow"...

If I were to prove it by contradiction, will I assume that x is the intersection...?
    Then, from the nested interval property (is it?), 0 < x < 1/n for all natural no. n.

From here on...you mentioned that "-> x=<0
    x=<0 & x>0 -> <-".... do you mind if you can explain to me?

5. Aug 4, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

by the definitions of the real numbers there is no real number that is strictly positive and less than 1/n for all n, that's all.

6. Aug 4, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More "primitively", if x is any positive real number then 1/x exists and is a positive real number. By the "Archimedean property", there exist an integer n> 1/x so 1/n< x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?