Proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots?

In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture that states that the surface function z = f(x,y) is independent of the variable r when converted to cylindrical coordinates. However, a counter-example is provided and it is shown that the conjecture is not true in all cases. The dimensionlessness of f and its contained constants is also mentioned as part of the conjecture.
tade
surf_101.png

We have a surface function z = f(x,y) ; f(x,y) only contains dimensionless constants, and is itself dimensionless.

If we convert it to cylindrical co-ordinates, z = f(r,θ) , does z only depend on θ?
Meaning we can remove r from the equation, literally.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tade said:
z only depend on θ?

Obviously not ! Look at z(r) for e.g. ##\theta=\pi/4##

BvU said:
Obviously not ! Look at z(r) for e.g. ##\theta=\pi/4##
what's the equation of f(r,θ) ?

You are asking me ?
Or do you mean: if ##\theta=pi/4## then ##f(r,\theta) = f(x,x) ## with ##x=r/\sqrt 2## ?

BvU said:
You are asking me ?
I thought you had come up with a counter-example to prove the conjecture false, so I was wondering what that counter-example function was.

Conjecture: z is independent of r
Counter example: along the diagonal I see z go up, down, up again and then down again -- clearly not independent of r

BvU said:
Conjecture: z is independent of r
Counter example: along the diagonal I see z go up, down, up again and then down again -- clearly not independent of r
sorry, what's the equation of the counter-example function?

However, I see an interpretation of
tade said:
f(x,y) only contains dimensionless constants
If x and y do not occur, then f itself is a constant, therefore independent of r, but equall indepndent of ##\theta##

BvU said:
However, I see an interpretation of
If x and y do not occur, then f itself is a constant, therefore independent of r, but equall indepndent of ##\theta##
Oh, so just z = c , the surface plot being just a flat plane?
That's a trivial case and the conjecture is that there'll be r-independence in all cases, whichever function you use. As long as the function satisfies the two conditions.

In which case your picture is wrongfooting any good-willing helper :rolleyes:

BvU said:
In which case your picture is wrongfooting any good-willing helper :rolleyes:
Well, it's certainly not an r-independent function, though I just wanted to make sure people got the idea of "surface plot" immediately.

tade said:
As long as the function satisfies the two conditions
I don't see what the dimensionlessness of f or its contained constants has to do with it

tade said:
just wanted to make sure people got the idea of "surface plot" immediately
Well, this exercise creates more confusion than it removes

BvU said:
Well, this exercise creates more confusion than it removes
Well, no equations are given, the image not referenced, cos its a general conjecture.

I should add some details in the OP though, but its too late now.

BvU said:
I don't see what the dimensionlessness of f or its contained constants has to do with it
Its part of the conjecture. Unless its possible to expand the generality of the conjecture even further.

1. What is the purpose of proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots?

The purpose of proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots is to understand the behavior and characteristics of these plots in relation to their dimensions. This can help in analyzing and interpreting data, as well as making predictions and drawing conclusions.

2. What are some common techniques used to prove radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots?

Some common techniques used to prove radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots include mathematical calculations, statistical analysis, and graphical representations. These techniques can help in determining the shape, symmetry, and other properties of the surface plot.

3. How do you interpret the results of proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots?

The interpretation of the results depends on the specific properties being analyzed. For example, the shape of the plot can indicate the type of relationship between variables, while the symmetry can suggest the presence of certain patterns or trends. It is important to consider all aspects of the surface plot to fully interpret the results.

4. What are some challenges in proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots?

One of the main challenges in proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots is the complexity of the data. These plots often involve multiple variables and can be difficult to analyze and interpret. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by factors such as measurement errors or assumptions made during the analysis.

5. How can proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots benefit scientific research?

Proving radial properties of particular dimensionless surface plots can benefit scientific research by providing a deeper understanding of the relationships between variables. This can lead to the development of new theories and models, as well as improving the accuracy and reliability of existing ones. It can also help in identifying patterns and trends that may not be apparent in traditional plots or data analysis methods.