1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving rationals cannot have dense orbit in Cantor set

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be the standard Cantor "middle third" set (ie Ck = {x:0[itex]\leq[/itex]T[itex]^{k}_{3/2}(x)[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex]1} and C = [itex]\bigcap[/itex][itex]^{inf}_{k=0}[/itex]Ck
    where T[itex]^{k}_{3/2} = 3x if x<1/2,
    = 3 - 3x if x \geq[/itex] 1/2)

Show that a rational number x = p/q [itex]\in[/itex] C cannot have dense orbit in C.

2. Relevant equations

{T[itex]^{k}_{3/2}[/itex](x)}[itex]^{inf}_{k=0}[/itex] is the orbit of x.

Def A subset A of the interval J is dense in J if A intersects every nonempty open subinterval of J.

3. The attempt at a solution

Want to show that the orbit A = {T[itex]^{k}_{3/2}[/itex](x)}[itex]^{inf}_{k=0}[/itex] of any rational number x = p/q is not dense in C. so we want to show that NOT every nonempty, open subinterval of C intersects with the orbit A (negation of definition of being dense). So what it comes down to (I think) is finding some element of C that is not in the orbit. the trouble is, I dont know exactly what will be in the orbit for any given rational number. The orbit will obviously contain all rational numbers, so do I just need to find some irrational element in C?

for example, 2/3 is in C, and 2/3 = 0.2000... in base 3, so if we let y = 0.20200200020000200000... then a) its irrational (right?) and b) its not in the orbit A since its irrational, so the orbit can't be dense.

Im having alot of difficulty with the concepts here (dense sets, dense orbit, the cantor set in general) so any insight is appreciated. thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?