1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving set theorems

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am very confused on how to prove these set theories. The statements seem to prove themselves just by the definitions of the symbols. For example:

If A is contained or equal to B union C and A intersect B = {} (the empty set) then A is contained or equal to C.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I have is:

Assume that A is contained in or equal to B union C. So, any element X that is in A will also be in either B or C. However, we also assume that A n B is the empty set, there is not element in B that is in A. Hence, any X must be contained in C. Therefore A is contained in or equal to C.

This seems too easy... What am I assuming that i need to prove?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may seem too easy. But that is pretty much the whole proof. Well done. Easy theorems deserve easy proofs.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    THANKS, that give me confidence!

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Generally, speaking, for sets, A, B, you prove "A = B" by proving "A is a subset of B" and "B is a subset of A".

And you prove "A is a subset of B" by starting "if x is in A" and using the definitions of A and B to conclude "x is in B".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook