1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving SHM using energy

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i have a bead on a wire shaped by y=cx^2 where y is the height - use conservation of energy to show that the system unfergoes simple harmonic motion. - no friction!

2. Relevant equations

I think to prove its SHM i need to get an equation in the form acc= - w^2 x

3. The attempt at a solution

KE + PE = A constant
    1/2mv^2 + mgh = A constant
    1/2mv^2 + mgcx^2 = A constant

... is this right? i am pretty sure i need it in the above form them from that i know what w is and can work out the period of this moyion.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    please help - with this i cant do the rest of the question :s

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    Well as you said above, you need to show that the system satisfy an equation of the form acc = - constant * position.
    More precisly something saying Z'' = - constant * Z. It doesn't matter what this constant exactly is, besides being a constant.
    The v in your equation from the the kinetic energy is the SPEED of the bead so it's not the derivative of your x. What is v then? What happens if you plug that expression for v into your equation:

1/2mv^2 + mgcx^2 = constant

then taking the time derivative, so get something with dobbel derivative which is what you are seeking.

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4
    what do i plug in for v? im totally confused...

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    It's the length of the velocity vector, so it's
    v^2 = x'^2 + y'^2
    where x' and y' are the velocities in the x- and y- direction respectivly (ie time derivatives of x and y resp.). What is y' in this case?

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6
    y' = 2xcx' ?

8. Dec 2, 2007 #7
    ahhh -= please help somebaody - its in for tomrrow

9. Dec 2, 2007 #8
    This is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?