1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving solution of wave equation

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone.

I'm asked in a problem to prove that a given general solution is valid for the wave equation
    [tex]\nabla^2 p - \frac{1}{c_0^2} \frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial t^2} = 0 [/tex].

The given solution was
    [tex]p(x, t) = A_1 f_1 (x - c_0 t) + A_2 f_2 (x + c_0 t)[/tex].

I just need a check of work here. I plugged in the solution and calculated out for a 1-dimensional wave equation, but I might have made some assumptions along the way that are un-kosher.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2
    Here is the work:

[tex]\nabla^2 p - \frac{1}{c_0^2}\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{c_0^2}\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial t^2} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial x^2} = A_1 \frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial x^2} + A_2 \frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial t^2} = A_1 c_0^2\frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial t^2} + A_2 c_0^2\frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{c_0^2}\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial t^2} = A_1 \frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial x^2} + A_2 \frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial x^2} - \frac{1}{c_0^2} (A_1 c_0^2\frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial t^2} + A_2 c_0^2\frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial t^2}) = 0[/tex]

[tex]A_1 (\frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 f_1}{\partial t^2}) + A_2 (\frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 f_2}{\partial t^2}) = 0[/tex]

At this point I assumed that since this was the LINEAR wave equation, this meant that spatial position varied linearly with time, so some equation could be written [itex]x = kt + b[/itex] where k and b are arbitrary constants.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2} = 0 [/tex]

Likewise, while it doesn't make sense physically, one could make the mathematically sound statement [itex]t = mx + d[/itex] where m and d are arbitrary constants.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2}\frac{d^2 t}{d x^2} = 0 [/tex]

Therefore the above equations reduce to 0.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    The assumption doesn't make sense to me. Spatial position of what? How does you assumption work for a known solution like exp[i(x - c0 t)]?

I was thinking that you might be able to do this by transforming to new variables

\phi_\pm = x \pm c_0 t
  5. Nov 7, 2006 #4
    Sorry, completely forgot the context :redface:

This is for ultrasonic imaging. The function p(x,t) is a function of position (depth) in tissue and time.
  6. Nov 10, 2006 #5
    I'm just not sure your problem is 1-D, or that you just made that assumption... Things I am just concerned about -- are your givens A1, A2 constants or vectors (like wih E-fields, they would be indicative of polarizations) and is x one-dimensional... or a vector (which would often be indicated by r, but not always)? These thoughts complicate the things, as now the spacial derivatives are more interesting...
  7. Nov 10, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The nabla is for more than one spatial coordinate. Let's assume for simplicity that the "x" in the solution means that the problem is essentially one-dimensional.

Then you might redo the differentiations using the chain rule properly.

[tex] \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}=\frac{dp}{d\left(x-c_{0}t\right)}\frac{\partial \left(x-c_{0}t\right)}{\partial x} +\frac{dp}{d\left(x+c_{0}t\right)}\frac{\partial \left(x+c_{0}t\right)}{\partial x}[/tex]

and using the expression the problem offers, you finally get

[tex] \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}=A_{1}\frac{df_{1}}{d\left(x-c_{0}t\right)}\frac{\partial \left(x-c_{0}t\right)}{\partial x}+A_{2}\frac{df_{2}}{d\left(x+c_{0}t\right)}\frac{\partial \left(x+c_{0}t\right)}{\partial x}=... [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?