1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Solutions are Unique?

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I found the solutions a = 2, b = 0, c = 0, d = 3 to this system of equations...

ab + c + d = 3
    bc + d + a = 5
    cd + a + b = 2
    da + b + c = 6

But I don't know how to justify that those are the only solutions to this system, since it is non-linear. How can I prove that those are the only solutions? (Note: I'm not sure if those ARE the only solutions -- I just can't find any more.)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The solution is unique, and you have found it. However, justifying this involves tools way beyond pre-calculus algebra. In particular, I used the Groebner package in Maple 11 to compute a Groebner basis of the system, and here is what I got:
    with(Groebner):
    G:={a*b+c+d-3,b*c+d+a-5,c*d+a+b-2,d*a+b+c-6}; <--- these should = 0 at your solution
    B:=Basis(G,tdeg(a,b,c,d));
    B := [d - 3, c, b, a - 2] <--- this system is equivalent to G

In words: the elements of B are a basis for the ideal generated by G; that is, any multivariate polynomial of the form P = A(a,b,c,d)*(a*b+c+d-3) + B(a,b,c,d)*(b*c+d+a-5) + etc, with multivariate polynomial coefficients A, B, ... can be written as a linear combination of (d-3), c, b and (a-2), also with multivariate polynomial coefficients. So, if all elements of G = 0 (which is your system of equations) then each element of B is also zero, and vice-versa. Therefore, your equations necessarily imply d-3=0, c=0, b=0, a-2=0.

Note: Maple (or Mathematica, for example) use Buchberger's Algorithm to compute a Groebner basis.

RGV

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Thanks for the reply and confirming that this is the only solution. This particular problem was taken from the British Mathematical Olympiad, Round 1 (2003). Is this the only way to prove that this solution is unique? I won't have access to Maple/Mathematica in the exam, or a calculator. I've been told that if I find a solution, I have to make a convincing argument for why it is the only solution -- is it plausible to use Buchberger's algorithm by hand? (It is a 3 and a half hour paper with 6 questions.)

I just noticed that my solution is 2,0,0,3 -- the year the paper was taken from. Hmm, I did not notice that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook