1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving statements, having issues finding distinct integers and also prime question

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone.

I'm suppose to prove this but i'm having troubles figuring out how u find "distinct" integers. Meaning they can't be the same number. i figured it out they just wanted integers though. Here is the question:
    There are distinct integers m and n such that 1/m + 1/n is an integer.

I wrote:
    Let m = n = 1. Then m and n are integers such that 1/m + 1/n = 1/1 + 1/1 = 2, which is an integer.

Is there a processes to figuring these things out or is it a guessing game?

Also a harder one is this one:
    There is an integer n such that 2n^2-5n+2 is prime.

I looked up what the defintion of a prime number is and i got the following:
    An integer n is prime if and only if n > 1 and for all positive integers r and s, if n = (r)(s), then r = 1, or s = 1.

So i wasn't sure where to start with that so I tried to factor 2n^2+5n+2 to see what happens and i got: (x-2)(2x-1). x = 2 or x = 1/2. Because 1/2 is not greater than 1 (x = 1/2) does this mean the whole expression is also not prime? Is that enough to prove it? IT says there IS an integer n that makes that expression prime though.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

-1 is an integer. And remember, you're not trying to find a root of 2n^2-5n+2, you're looking for an n such that this evaluates to a prime number. Your factorization will help: try to make one of the factors 1 and the other a prime number.

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you have trouble with the word "distinct"? 1 and 1 are not distinct!

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4
    Thanks for the help guys!
    By letting m = 1, and n = -1, u get 0 which is an integer. For the 2nd one, am I allowed to just let as you suggested, (n-2)(2n-1); n-2 = 1, 2n-1 = 3;
    n = 3, or n = 2. If you plug in 3 for n, u get 2(3)^2-5(3)+2 = 5, which is prime. So by example this is true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?