1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving stuff is a Subgroup

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a and b be integers

(a) Prove that aZ + bZ is a subgroup of Z+
    (b) prove that a and b+7a generate aZ + bZ

2. Relevant equations

Z is the set of all integers

3. The attempt at a solution

(a)
    In order for something to be a subgroup it must satisfy the following 3 properties:

(i)closure; that is that if aZ and bZ are in H (the subgroup of Z+) than aZ+bZ are in H.
    (ii) identity: 0 is in H
    (iii) inverses: if a(Z)+ b(Z) are in H, then so are -(a(Z) + b(Z)

i really dont know how to prove any of these are true for this particular subset.

I am also completley lost on part b.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    It's simpler than that: For H to be a subgroup of a group G, H must be nonempty and if a, b are elements of H, then ab-1 is an element of H.

Start by proving that aZ + bZ is not empty. Then pick two arbitrary elements x and y in aZ + bZ and show that x - y is in aZ + bZ.

Do you know what "a and b + 7a generate aZ + bZ" means?

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    How do you show that aZ + bZ is non empty? it seems quite obvious to me but i dont know how to prove it.

Is it something like:

since a and b are integers, and when you mutiply integers with other integers, you get more integers.

I think that a and b+7a generate aZ+bZ means something like a cyclic subgroup generated by the elements a and b+7a is aZ + bZ

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    Give me a putative element of aZ + bZ and prove that it actually belongs to aZ + bZ.

And how does that relate to this problem.

Something like that. Can you provide more details.

6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    i know that the cyclic subgroup generated by a single element (lets say a) would be

(... a^-2 , a ^-1 , I , a, a^2, a^3, ...)

dunno how this works for 2 elements

7. Oct 12, 2008 #6
    NM i figured this whole problem out

Thanks.

feel free to lock mods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?