Proving H as a Subgroup of G: Using the Abelian Property

In summary, to prove that H is a subgroup of G, there are two methods that can be used. The first method involves showing that if a and b are in H, then a + b and -a are also in H. The second method involves showing that if a and b are in H, then a - b is also in H. The fact that G is an abelian group can be used to show that ab is in H, which is necessary to prove that H is a subgroup of G.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

G is an abelian group
Let [itex]H = {x \in G : x = x^{-1}[/itex]

Prove H is a subgroup of G.

I have two methods in my arsenal to do this (and I am writing them out additively just for ease):
1. Let a,b be in H. If a + b is in H AND -a is in H then H<G.
or
2.Let a,b be in H. if a-b is in H then H<G.

Solution:
If I use method one the 2nd part is given practically (if a is in H then a^-1 = a is certainly in H).

Then I need to show ab is in H. this is what I am struggling with... I feel (since it is given) I should use the fact that G is abelian but not sure where/how to do that!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to show that

[tex]ab=(ab)^{-1}[/tex]

First, write out what [itex](ab)^{-1}[/itex] is. Then us that a and b are in H.

1. What is a subgroup of a group?

A subgroup of a group is a subset of the original group that itself forms a group under the same operation. In other words, it contains elements that follow the same rules of composition as the original group.

2. How do you prove that a subset is a subgroup of a given group?

To prove that a subset is a subgroup of a given group, you must show that it satisfies three conditions: closure, identity, and inverse. This means that the subset must contain the identity element of the original group, and for every element in the subset, its inverse must also be in the subset.

3. Can a subgroup be bigger than the original group?

No, a subgroup cannot be bigger than the original group. By definition, a subgroup is a subset of the original group, meaning it cannot contain more elements than the original group.

4. Is every non-empty subset of a group a subgroup?

No, not every non-empty subset of a group is a subgroup. It must satisfy the conditions of closure, identity, and inverse in order to be considered a subgroup.

5. What is the significance of proving a subgroup of a group?

Proving a subgroup of a group is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of a larger group by studying a smaller, more manageable subset. This can help in solving problems and making connections between different groups.