1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving T is linear

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    Another question that i'm a little bit stumped on...

Define T: Mnn -> Mnn by T(A) = A + A^T. Prove that T is linear

i know that with T(A) = A^T you can prove it by the equations (if A and B are arbitrary matrices in Mnn and c is a scalar):
    T(A+B) = (A+B)^T = (A)^T + (B)^T = T(A) + T(B)
    T(cA) = (cA)^T = cT(A)

but i dont know how to manipulate these equations for the A + A^T problem...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2
    do you mean T(A)=A+A^T(A) ? (there's a redundant symbol describing not the same things) or T(A)=A+transpose(A)....the first is almost surely not linear, the second should be accepted to be proven like : T(A+B)=A+B+trn(A+B)=A+B+trn(A)+trn(B)=A+trn(A)+B+trn(B)=T(A)+T(B) with your defintion...the same for scalar multiplication
  4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    sorry, i think it means the transpose... cos in the question its A to the power of capital T...
  5. Nov 23, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to show that T(A+B)=T(A)+T(B) and T(cA)=cT(A)
    Since T(A)=A+A^T, what do you get if you let T act on A+B?
  6. Nov 24, 2005 #5
    i dont understand what happens to the transpose though
  7. Nov 24, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are there any rules or identities with the transpose you are familiar with?
  8. Nov 24, 2005 #7
    Use the fact (that you already know from your original post) that A^T is linear to prove that A + A^T is linear.
  9. Nov 24, 2005 #8
    the transpose rules i know of are (A+B)transpose = Atranspose + Btranspose; (cA)transpose = cAtranspose; (AB)transpose = BtransposeAtranspose; and (Atranspose)transpose = A

but i still dont understand how to go about manipulating the addition and scalar multiplication formulas to prove that T(A)=A+Atranspose is linear
  10. Nov 25, 2005 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know what T does to an arbitrary matrix Q right? T(Q)=Q+Q^T.
    So what you have to show is that for any two matrices A,B we have T(A+B)=T(A)+T(B)

So let Q=A+B. Then T(A+B)=(A+B)+(A+B)^T.
    We also have T(cA)=(cA)+(cA)^T.

So are these equal to T(A)+T(B) and cT(A) respectively?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?