Proving T is Linear in Mnn: A + A^T

• Thread starter chantella28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses defining a linear function T that operates on matrices in Mnn by adding the matrix to its transpose. The proof for this linearity is shown using the properties of transposes and how they apply to the function T. The conversation also suggests using the fact that A^T is linear to prove that A + A^T is also linear.
chantella28
Another question that I'm a little bit stumped on...

Define T: Mnn -> Mnn by T(A) = A + A^T. Prove that T is linear

i know that with T(A) = A^T you can prove it by the equations (if A and B are arbitrary matrices in Mnn and c is a scalar):
T(A+B) = (A+B)^T = (A)^T + (B)^T = T(A) + T(B)
T(cA) = (cA)^T = cT(A)

but i don't know how to manipulate these equations for the A + A^T problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean T(A)=A+A^T(A) ? (there's a redundant symbol describing not the same things) or T(A)=A+transpose(A)...the first is almost surely not linear, the second should be accepted to be proven like : T(A+B)=A+B+trn(A+B)=A+B+trn(A)+trn(B)=A+trn(A)+B+trn(B)=T(A)+T(B) with your defintion...the same for scalar multiplication

sorry, i think it means the transpose... cos in the question its A to the power of capital T...

You have to show that T(A+B)=T(A)+T(B) and T(cA)=cT(A)
Since T(A)=A+A^T, what do you get if you let T act on A+B?

i don't understand what happens to the transpose though

Are there any rules or identities with the transpose you are familiar with?

Use the fact (that you already know from your original post) that A^T is linear to prove that A + A^T is linear.

the transpose rules i know of are (A+B)transpose = Atranspose + Btranspose; (cA)transpose = cAtranspose; (AB)transpose = BtransposeAtranspose; and (Atranspose)transpose = A

but i still don't understand how to go about manipulating the addition and scalar multiplication formulas to prove that T(A)=A+Atranspose is linear

You know what T does to an arbitrary matrix Q right? T(Q)=Q+Q^T.
So what you have to show is that for any two matrices A,B we have T(A+B)=T(A)+T(B)

So let Q=A+B. Then T(A+B)=(A+B)+(A+B)^T.
We also have T(cA)=(cA)+(cA)^T.

So are these equal to T(A)+T(B) and cT(A) respectively?

1. What does "T is linear in Mnn" mean?

"T is linear in Mnn" means that the function T follows the properties of linearity when applied to square matrices of size n by n. This means that T satisfies the rules of additivity and homogeneity, which are essential characteristics of linear functions.

2. How do you prove that T is linear in Mnn?

To prove that T is linear in Mnn, we need to show that T satisfies the rules of additivity and homogeneity. This can be done by demonstrating that T(A + B) = T(A) + T(B) and T(cA) = cT(A), where A and B are n by n matrices and c is a scalar. We can also use the definition of T to show that it follows the properties of linearity.

3. What is the significance of proving that T is linear in Mnn?

Proving that T is linear in Mnn is important because it allows us to use the properties of linearity to simplify calculations and solve problems involving square matrices. It also helps us understand the behavior of T and its relationship with other linear functions.

4. Are there any other methods for proving that T is linear in Mnn?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that T is linear in Mnn. One method is to use the definition of linearity and demonstrate that T satisfies the properties of additivity and homogeneity. Another method is to use the properties of matrices and show that T follows the rules of linearity when applied to square matrices.

5. Can T be linear in Mmm, where m is not equal to n?

No, T can only be linear in Mnn, where n is the size of the square matrices being operated on. This is because the definition of linearity requires the function to operate on vectors or matrices of the same size. If m is not equal to n, then T cannot follow the properties of linearity.